Storing a plane around Corpus Christi?

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Stinger
100+ Posts

Storing a plane around Corpus Christi?

Post by Stinger »

I'm moving down to the Corpus Christi, TX, area in a few months and am kind of looking around for an airport that has hangars for sale or lease for when I buy an airplane. I called around at CRP and was shocked to hear that they don't have any private GA hangars. The only hangars are owned by Signature and Atlantic. Then I looked at other airports around the area and didn't really see much in the way of airports that have hangar space.

Am I missing something here? Or is there just that little GA flying going on that I won't be finding anything?

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

I have a friend of mine that has a Cirrus in Corpus. Let me give him a ring tomorrow and see if he knows of anything. I do know that they pull his out of a hangar and have it on the flight line when he's ready to go. Did you try Kingsville or Victoria? There is so much Naval military traffic around there it's a spooky place to fly GA. I fly over Corpus regularly but intentionally don't stop.
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

st8cop166 wrote:I have a friend of mine that has a Cirrus in Corpus. Let me give him a ring tomorrow and see if he knows of anything. I do know that they pull his out of a hangar and have it on the flight line when he's ready to go. Did you try Kingsville or Victoria? There is so much Naval military traffic around there it's a spooky place to fly GA. I fly over Corpus regularly but intentionally don't stop.
Great, I appreciate it! I didn't look at either of those, but I saw Rockport and Mustang Beach airports.

What makes it spooky? Just the amount of traffic or something else? I'd imagine as long as you stay out of the MOAs, there'd be less to worry about?

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to the MOA's. I live in a sleepy area northwest of there near Austin and not use to that much traffic. Just me being spooky I guess.
1960 PA18 N87314

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Pretty dead all around here in Montana too. It'll take some getting used to down there for sure!

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

Let me know when you get down here. We'll get you hooked up with the Lone Star Maule's. http://www.lonestarmaules.com/

The Lone Star Maule group has an annual fly-in over in Llano, Texas and look for any opportunity to get the group together. Great bunch of old geezers, a few young bucks a couple of Maule flying gals and a lot of supportive wives and families.

I will let you know what I find out about hangar space.
1960 PA18 N87314

aellis

Post by aellis »

Just flew to Corpis Christi yesterday. Had to take a 182 instead of the M4 because the weather was bad. I parked at Atlantic. Their tie down fees are $40.00 per day and Hangar rates are $100.00 per day! The entire airport is very GA unfriendly. Maybe Alice, Tx (35 miles west) would be an option.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

That's ridiculous. Signature told me the rate was $50 a night for the hangar.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Oh, and also, does salty ocean air affect Maules about the same as other aircraft? Will the salt corrode the fabric more or less than metal airplanes?

Is a hangar necessary?

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

I bought mine out of North Carolina and found some metal corrosion here and there, nothing serious. I've never had an issue with fabric and salt air.

Most of the hangars down there are climate controlled so there must be something to it. Humidity is horrible along the Gulf Coast and there is the occasional hurricane, wind storm, and hail.

I think if you keep it hangared and keep an eye on it you should be fine. Most everyone down this way uses Corrosion X as a preventative measure.
1960 PA18 N87314