Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) 2014 Flyin

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) 2014 Flyin

Post by Flyhound »

OK, I'm a lazy bugger. I did a full trip report on this year's flyin at the Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) over at the backcountrypilot.org website. Rather than re-write my whole post here, I'm just going to post a link to that discussion. I did fly my Maule (MX7-180C) to the event and I parked next to a pristine MXT-7-180. It was a fabulous trip and I HIGHLY recommend adding this to your bucket list if you haven't been to this magnificent destination already!

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/commun ... rome-15889
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What was the little red/white, low wing, retractable tail dragger? Is that a Globe Swift? Pretty place. A C-46 and a P-51! Life is good!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

There were a bunch of Globe Swifts there, and most were highly modified with sliding canopies, sticks and bigger engines. They still don't have much room, or useful load, but they are good looking!

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have always like the little Swifts. I'd love to have one to play with.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

They say with right engine prop combo, they're like miniature P-51's... Yes, they are a fine looking little airplanes!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I flew my MX-7-180 down to Triple Tree on Saturday for the afternoon. One of the volunteers said that there were about 500 airplanes there - a bit down from the 800 last year due to the variable weather. They published new Oshkosh-like approach procedures but two yo-yos ignored them when I was arriving and cut in front of me.

Hot, humid and I had to dodge thunderstorms over the mountains on the way back but it was fun to see all the cool airplanes. I think they were selling P-51 rides for about $700/20 minutes.

I wish they had the event in the cooler Fall weather. It would be more enjoyable and weather would be better.
Andy
1986 MX7-180