Co-pilot Needed from Alaska to Lower 48

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Co-pilot Needed from Alaska to Lower 48

Post by Andy Young »

Hi everybody,

This is a re-posting of my recent submission to the thread I had originally started about looking for a copilot on my trip up to Alaska. I recently posted there that I'm now looking for someone to accompany me on the way south. Didn't get any interest from that posting, so thought that perhaps it would be better to post it under it's own subject line, one that is more accurate.

I work summers in Alaska, flying for an air taxi here. My season is almost over, and it's time to start planning my trip back south. I'd like to find someone who wants to do the trip with me, to help defray costs.

I'm hoping to find someone who has always wanted to do the flight to or from Alaska, but hasn't, because they don't have an airplane, or are intimidated by the planning/weather/terrain/logistics/border crossings, etc. I can provide the plane, the experience (done it over a dozen times now, by all different routes), the planning and the decision making. The other person can provide funds for fuel. I'm happy to let them do as much of the flying as they like, as long as they aren't scaring me. I will probably want to do the landings, depending on experience and comfort level.

I plan to leave the Anchorage area around September 16 or 17th, though I do have a little flexibility there.

They would need to get themselves to Anchorage, and home from Denver, Colorado, unless there is somewhere better I can drop them along the way..

So. Any of you know someone who might like to do this?

Andy

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I flew to Anchorage with Andy last spring. Guys, I don't care what you are doing, or how busy you think you are, if you've always wanted to do this but can never seem to find time or energy, think again. This was the best cross country flight of my life. Andy knows what he's doing, is a great mentor and guide, and is a great guy to share a cockpit with.
I dropped everything, rearranged my work schedule, bought a plane ticket and went on this trip. I can't do it twice in a year, but i'd do it again next year if Andy repeats the invitation.
The weather agreed so we got to Anchorage well ahead of our time cushion, so I had a couple days to stooge around Anchorage and explore the town, airports, and a few sights.
You only live once.

[/img]http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/tomth ... a%20flight
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Wyflyer wrote:I flew to Anchorage with Andy last spring. Guys, I don't care what you are doing, or how busy you think you are, if you've always wanted to do this but can never seem to find time or energy, think again. This was the best cross country flight of my life. Andy knows what he's doing, is a great mentor and guide, and is a great guy to share a cockpit with.
I dropped everything, rearranged my work schedule, bought a plane ticket and went on this trip. I can't do it twice in a year, but i'd do it again next year if Andy repeats the invitation.
The weather agreed so we got to Anchorage well ahead of our time cushion, so I had a couple days to stooge around Anchorage and explore the town, airports, and a few sights.
You only live once.

[/img]http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/tomth ... a%20flight
Thanks Tom,

I'd fly again with you anytime.

Andy Young

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Best slide show I have seen in a while. :D

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

From the time you depart Anchorage, how many days would it take to get to Denven? Or maybe a better question is how many flight hours? How do you normally handle the trip? I would love to make the trip. It would take some juggling.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

TomD
100+ Posts

Trip

Post by TomD »

Damn!!

I have already booked a non refundable trip or I would jump at this opportunity.

Give a heads up on the flip side next Spring.

Tom

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

multimauler wrote:From the time you depart Anchorage, how many days would it take to get to Denven? Or maybe a better question is how many flight hours? How do you normally handle the trip? I would love to make the trip. It would take some juggling.
Hi David,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Just after my last post, phone and internet went down at my air taxi base, and just came back up today. We're out in the middle of nowhere, so when the satellite li goes down, there's no place closeby to get a connection.

Flight time is about 17 or 18 hours. Three days enroute is reasonable if there are no weather delays, though I typically plan five for the trip, just to allow for weather delays, etc. Not sure what you meant by how I handle the trip, but if you can expand on that, I'll be happy to answer.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Trip

Post by Andy Young »

TomD wrote:Damn!!

I have already booked a non refundable trip or I would jump at this opportunity.

Give a heads up on the flip side next Spring.

Tom
Will do!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Andy, I would be there in a heartbeat I could afford it...maybe next year if things turn around. It all looks like "The Fantastic Journey". It has been highlighted on my list.

skidooche

co pilot

Post by skidooche »

Andy,
I met a gal at Lake Hood the other day that is hitch hiking around the US in airplanes. She is looking for a ride south. I sent you her contact info via pm. Her website is jethiking.com or facebook.com/jethiking

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Reviving this old thread because I am once again looking for someone who might like to join me on an adventure in a few weeks. I plan to leave Anchorage around the 6th of October, trip ending in Spokane Washington this time. Flight takes two days in good weather, but best to plan extra for weather delays.

I do this every year, up in the spring, down in the fall. Have had several people from this list join me on the trip; all seem to have found it a rewarding and educational experience. I’ve posted details in the past about how this all works, so I won’t take the space here to go through it all again, but happy to answer any questions. In a nutshell, folks who come with me cover half the fuel, their own hotel and food expenses, plus a training fee: I provide training on all aspects of how to put together and fly a trip like this, and charge a fee for that which comes out to about $500-$600.

I know the notice is short this time; just learned that someone who was going to go can’t make it. If anyone is interested. Contact me and let’s discuss!

Thanks
Andy

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hey Andy!
Have you left yet? Just saw this. Call me.
Live it like its your last day.

Partsandplanes

Ferry to anywhere

Post by Partsandplanes »

Anyone that needs a copilot anytime from Alaska down or back; please let me know. 31,000+ hours and on my third Maule. I'd do it for the fun of it!