LONG Trip Planning Again

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

LONG Trip Planning Again

Post by Flyhound »

A little over a year ago I bought my Maule in the Seattle area and flew it back to Virginia. Now we have jumped on an opportunity to move back to the northwest. We've signed a lease on a house in Port Townsend, WA and will live there while we build a retirement home in that area. We will drive the cars and the dog back there at the end of September, then I come back to pick up the Maule and fly her home.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a route for the Maule flight across the country. When I flew east, we did a southern route so my wife could see the California coast and we credit card camped in hotels. We went through Tehachapi Pass and across Arizona and New Mexico before swinging way north to avoid thunderstorms.

A buddy will join me for this trip west, and we'd like to spend several nights airplane camping. Any recommended camping strips for a mid-October flight across the US? Any areas we should studiously avoid? I've got 800s on the gear, and a 180 on the nose, so no seriously soft or short backcountry strips are viable. What are your suggestions?
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

TimB
100+ Posts

NW trip

Post by TimB »

Gary welcome back to the North West and have another scenic flight back to Jefferson Int.
TimB

TomD
100+ Posts

Back to the NW

Post by TomD »

Good on ya', Gary!

Back to Jeffco and the Spruce Goose w/ the best pie on the Sound.

TD

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Gary,
Welcome back to the PACNW! I'm right across from you in Oak Harbor. I'll be happy to get you lunch one day if we meet up.
I just flew my new (to me) M-5-235 on Aqua 2400 floats back from Oshkosh. Weather was a bit scosh for the first leg but if you haven't been ND and Montana have some pretty spectacular vistas and I'd be happy to share my route of flight with you if you PM me. Take care and look forward to meeting you.

James