Talkeetna Mountains

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Talkeetna Mountains

Post by Andy Young »

I'm planning to take a few days off my air taxi job in August and go play a bit. I'm thinking of maybe doing it in the Talkeetnas (Alaska), since they are near me, have always intrigued me, and I've never gotten a chance to explore them. Oddly enough, I know lots of great bush strips in many parts of the state, but I don't know any of the ones there. Can anyone give me some info on good strips to check out, that are available to the public? I'm not looking for really challenging cub strips, as I'm on 8.50s these days, and not wanting to beat this plane up too much, or risk wrecking it. I'm using an M-6-235. Hard to define the comfort threshold concisely, but I'm comfortable with say 700' strips on a relatively good surface. Wish I knew the name, but there is one near Lake George up by the Knik that fits the bill perfectly, in terms of my level. Not the big, super-nice one on the north side of the lake, but a smaller, narrower one a few miles southwest of there.

Anyway, looking for places to land, camp, hike look at scenery, etc. Super-nice would be ones with public-use cabins like in Wrangell-St. Elias, but maybe that's asking for too much.

Any input on good strips for my purpose would be most welcome.

Somewhat related to this, anybody know anything about the strip at 62 00.620' 149 41.909' on the lower Kashwitna River? Just flew over it today and it intrigued me. I'd post a photo, but haven't yet gotten it off my phone to somewhere I can link to here.

Thanks
Andy Young

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, I figured it out. Here's a few photos of the one on the Kashwitna that I'm wondering about:

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The Knik strip just west of the lake, against the mountains and on the other side of the river is my favorite. Nice little beaver pond there on one side and the river on the other. Close enough to the glacier to hear it calve into the river at "night". If I had my GPS, I'd give you lat/lon but I bet you have seen it. Just hit Lake George and head west toward the mountains. You should see it just before it gets steep!

There are a few others in the area that might interest you. Try the one up the right branch of Friday Creek. It is up at about 3500'. If you don't land short it is smooth enough for 8.50's and is very pretty up there. I know there is a strip up the left fork as well but I haven't seen it or landed it.

I haven't ever seen that strip on the Kashitna. Looks like a nice one with a pretty nice apporach.

Check this link near the end;

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3373

akloon had some pretty good beta on some back country strips in the area.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Crbnunit,

I think that strip you describe is the one I landed at. I'd like to check out the one on Friday Creek sometime; I'll have a look next time I'm out there.

Thanks for reminding me of your thread about the Talkeetnas. Definitely some beta there that I can make use of.

I'd also like to get a closer look at the Kashwitna strip sometime. I'll be outside for about 10 days at a family thing, but maybe on the way back to work in Kantishna when I return. Let me know if you get up there to check it out; it's not far from town...

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yea, about 30-40 minutes north of here. Let me know if you want to meet up! I check here often so I'll get a PM. I will be out of state from 7/4 - 7/19 though.

Montana, Yellowstone, Teatons and hopefully, the Wind Rivers Range!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Will do. I'll be back on the 29th. But likely have to rush up to work. Might get a bit of time though. Or maybe when I take time off in August. [/url]

Redhawk
100+ Posts

Talkeeta mtns

Post by Redhawk »

Hi Andy, Check out the Yellowjacket strip up the Talkeetna river. Its a nice spot with good access to some tundra hiking!
Dick

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I keep hearing about Yellowjacket. Anybody know how long it is, and if it's appropriate for 8.50s?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I was thinking of heading up that way tomorrow. Weather permitting of course!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Let me know what you find. A lat/long would be helpful as well!

Thanks!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

So, good flight this weekend and got to explore quite a bit in the talkeetnas. Basically the same route as the previous report but with no wind and no snow!

Chicaloon River.

Lots of glaciation. Both past and present!

This is the headwaters if the Chickaloon River and the pass separating the Chickaloon from the Talkeetna River. Talkeetna flows notrh and Chickaloon flows south.

The Chickaloon River flows out of this valley. Note the HUGE rock glacier on the left. The whole side of the mountain is flowing downslope. Great tundra landing possibilities in this whole area!

On through the pass...
Looking pretty much straight down.

This is the Yellowjacket strip. There are actually several strips in this area. All were occupied and several moose camps were set up. A lot of activity considering it was in the middle of nowhere!

This strip was on the Chickaloon side of the pass. Don't know what it is called. Plenty long, about 1400' but rough. Rocks are small but there are whoops in the strip. Wouldn't really want to do it if I were really heavy. There are several really nice campsites here. There was a wheelbarrow, shovels and rakes. Might be some gold in the area but the geology is mostly sedementry. I'm guessing the rafting guys are trying to smooth out the strip. Bit of a mystery here. This thing is not new and looks like it has seen a bulldozer. It is cleared to about 75' wide and even has a cleared approach!
This looks like an old coral head.

General scenery shots...

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

As I have said before, the Pacific Northwest where I live and fly looks amazing, until I see the pictures ypou Alaskans post. God bless and enjoy. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I do have lat/lon for these strips if you want them Andy. Fly upstream from either end though, you can't miss them. There is a little Cub strip off one of the branch canyons at the pass that is not quite so obvious though. West side of the pass at the mouth of the canyon on the north side, right at the base of the rock glacier. The canyon on the other side didn't have any strips but looks like a great place for tundra landings.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Great pix. Maybe a bit obtuse, but what are the window vents you have. They don't look like mine, and I am looking for something better.
Let Freedom Prevail

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

They are SNAPVENT® - MODEL CC3251

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... vents2.php

I like them. Work great and seal tight when not in use.