Talkeetna Mountains

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks for all the info! Just got back from three days spent at a strip right in the saddle between the Chickaloon and Talkeetna drainages. I'll post some pics in a few days. Awesome spot.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Were you over on the west side of the pass, up against that rock glacier over there? I wanted to land there but a Cub had it staked out! What a BEAUTIFUL area!

We areheaded out to the Knik area now for an overnighter. Probably back by the glacier somwhere. Stop by if anyone is in the area!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, that's the spot. Plenty of room for a bunch of aircraft. There were two there when I landed, and there is available parking/camping for a nearly unlimited number of aircraft. The strip is a little hard to pick out visually, but it's a very good surface, and about 1100 feet long.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, finally getting around to posting a few photos of the site I camped at on the saddle between the headwaters of the Talkeetna and Chickaloon rivers. This strip is very firm, smooth, and 1100 feet long. Elevation is 4500 feet.

Looking down the strip towards the north(ish):

Looking down the strip towards the south(ish):

This glacier is a short (two mile) hike from the strip:

View down onto the strip and tie down area from up on the rock glacier/moraine:

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Stunning scenery Andy. What was the temp up there?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

40s at night, 50s during the day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yep! That was the spot. Beautiful area. This strip is actually visible in one of my photos with a cub parked there. It is just too small to see it.

Interesting area. This valley drains into the Talkeetna River to the north side of the pass while the valley directly across drains in to the Chickaloon River on the south side. It's like a big, four way intersection!

I'm looking forward to spending more time in this area! It would be a cool place for a small fly-in. Lots of room and unparalleled scenery!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hey Andy! Are you going to be in Kantishna on 9/15? We won the Denali road lottery and will be driving in. Is it worth the drive from Wonder Lake to Kantishna? Been to Wonder lake several times but never beyond.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Dang! I leave Kantishna on the 13th. It's only five miles from Wonder Lake to Kantishna, so probably worth the extra few minutes just to see the Airstrip. Of course, you can always fly into the airstrip anytime you want too....

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Went out to fly this evening. My baby is sick! Failed a mag check on the right mag. Probably not flying anywhere for a while. We had a trip planned to Kinnecott/McCarthy for the Labor Day weekend. Hope it is up and running by then!!