Where did you fly today?

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I am so jealous of all these recent flying stories. It's been almost 2 months since I've been airborne. Between problems with weather and a grass runway that was closed due to completely soggy conditions I'm going through withdrawal. Last weekend the skies were clear and the runway was firm so I drove 90 minutes to the airport. When I got there, the winds were 70 degrees crossed at 14 , gusting to 22. After so much time away from the plane I just wasn't confident enough to pull it out of the hangar. Blast!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

You were wise. Great judgment.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hey Andy, back when I was doing a lot of climbing in the Front Rang around the Boulder area (mid to late 80's), there was a glider painted like a bird on the underside that soared the ridges. Is that thing still around? It looked really cool and was always a surprise when it appeared overhead like a ghost from the blind side of the ridge.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Haven't seen that one, nor has my girlfriend, who used to tow gliders. There are a bunch of old retired gliders out at the airport though; I'll take a look at them and see if it's there!

I have been here since 1984, climbing more or less the whole time; I wonder if we ever met on the rocks.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Possible. I've climed El Dorado, the front range, Boulder Canyon, the park and everywhere in between. Do you know Scott Hudson? He is my old climbing partner and still lives in Louisville? Definitely in the area and still climbing. Just chatted with him last night!

Unfortunately, I have developed a synovial hernia in the distal joint of the first finger of my right hand. I remember injuring it back in the 90's. If I remember correctly, I blew it out doing pull-ups on a door frame. Had to take almost a year off to get it to heal enough to climb. Now I have this cool little knot on the joint that hurts when I smack it! And it is growing! I so look forward to having it repaired! Not. :roll:
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I'm afraid I don't know Scott. Sorry to hear about your hand. Climbing is indeed tough on them.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Andy Young wrote:
truthinbeer wrote:These photos you guys post are breathtaking. I have put it on the bucket list.
Come on over, and I'll take you flying. I've been well-hosted in both Oz and N.Z., and would happily pass on the good energy to another.

By the way, you know those temps quoted are not Celsius, right? ;)
Thanks for the offer Andy, I will file that thought. Glad you were looked after downunder. Mrs t and I been talking about having a look at US one day...our thoughts are to drive the back roads.

Yes, those temps are something else.;)

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

What a fantastic weekend at Pacific City. I thought it was going to be a bust. It didn't seem like anyone was into flying by. Boy was I wrong!

First the weather people and their computers have a problem getting the temperature right when this off shore wind sets up. We had record highs for the date.

Saturday Kelly and son Kyle flew in, in there M4 220 Franklin powered Maule. Next came Mike and Cory flying a white and blue Maule on 31s with 235 HP. After lunch at the local Mexican eatery Mike and Cory headed back to the valley. Next Little John arrives in his Maule with the little wheel on the wrong end. We had a short visit and he said he would be at the Flying M for breakfast Sunday and I said see you then. Late afternoon my boy Jamin and his friend Casey road their sport bikes down.
Sunday dawned with not a cloud in site and close to 70 by 8AM. Jamin and Casey were ready for the 15 minute flight to the Flying M. Great turn out, 15 planes and close to 30 guys. Barbara always has a great spread and we ate till we were full. On the way back to Pacific City the legendary east wind was getting it on, pushing or ground speed up to 165MPH. Pacific City runway is 14 32. The wind at 300 AGL was probably 100@15G20. It was rockin and a rollin for sure.
Next I got a text from Kitfox4/Brian and his 5 buddies, one whom was flying a white and blue Maule. After a short visit they were ready to fly. By now the sister in law and boy friend were ready to hit the beach. I went to mow some grass by the parking area to get it looking better. It was quite a shit show. WTF, LAND INTO THE WIND YOU DUMB ASSES! A 152 landing down wind skiddered a bit off the pavement. A low wing Piper landed down wind and I swear if the RW was 200' shorter he could not have stopped.

So I headed to the beach about 1:30 and it was hot!! We sat there for about an hour BSing and repeating, I can't believe how nice it is!!! Around 2:30 we called in a Pizza order and walked 20 minutes up the beach to Doryland pizza and scarfed some pie.Then a nap and time to pickup and head back to Troutdale. All in all a wonderful weekend.

Thanks to everyone who took time to come by and say hi and spend some time. Lets see, 16 friends old and new, and 9 planes. 3 white and red Maules, and 2 white and blue Maules. I think that is a new record. Until next time.

Cheers...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Good one Mr B, thanks for posting. Nice to see the Maules are out n about.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Rob, did you put small tires on the Maule? look small from the pix....
Iceman

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hi Jeremy and Butch. Butch I have the 8.50s on for awhile. It is fun zipping around at 150 MPH.

Cheers...Rob

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

It was 6 degrees in Northern NJ yesterday, good flying temp in my opinion. Not a back country destination but a neat place to stop for breakfast. The Flying W (N14) was built in the 1960s initially envisioned as a place to provide air transportation services to those involved in building the Alaska Pipe Line.

Setting up for a low pass to let Honey know I'll be home soon

snaproll

Fun afternoon in the Northwest Arkansas

Post by snaproll »

It seems to me that the most enjoyable flying I do with friends are the flights we take on short notice with almost no planning. Today is a great example. Three of us decided to fly down to Byrd's Adventure Center and meet the owner to fly as a group to a gravel bar on the Arkansas River.

While we were there another friend texted that he was ready to fly, so we met him at a beautiful strip on a mountain top.

Here's a shot flying home.

And since I'm posting photos, here's one of a foggy Saturday morning a week ago at Trigger Gap in Arkansas. This was an RAF fly-in that was a lot of fun despite the high winds and persistent fog.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Wonderful pics!

Extra credit for the awesome ait to air.

I'd submit that the Avweb for 'Photo Of The Week'

8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I'm playing with imgur for the first time; let's see if this works. Here are a few photos from my summer.

Anyone know how to link to a specific album in Imgur without linking to all of your photos?