new windsock

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Been getting some things done on the farm but I plan on looking soon for a replacement.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Pretty much means you have to mow one more very large lawn every week but is nice to walk out the back door and terrorize the neighborhood for a few minutes before the sun goes down.

My reason for asking for charting was also to make it easier to point out. I'm on the other side of the class B just south of Willow.

Good luck on airplane hunting.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

You Andy and I have to do a get together. Once I get back in the air we'll set something set up. Establish the NC chapter of Maules anonymous or something like that.
Kirk Johnson

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

What are the advantages of listing or registering your home strip in the US, I always had a grass strip everywhere I lived but never saw the advantage of registering it. Does it not increase your liability and fed oversight?
I understand the process in Canada is rather easy compared to what you guys are dealing with. We can list it as PPR here (prior permission required) and limit exposure in case of an accident.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I don't think it really affects liability lawyers will find a way to sue. One thing it does do is establish use in case some one objects to the airport. Some states have protective laws concerning airports South Carolina is one and I hear North Carolina is looking at similar legislation. As far as the feds go they don't seem to be to involved till something goes wrong.
Kirk Johnson

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

it is with great interest that i read this thread. its so sad that decisions need to be based on whether you can get sued or not. we are very fortunate in south africa. you cannot sue if you do stupid things, like spilling hot coffee on yourself, or shooting yourself when you look down the barrel of a gun.
we allow darwins law to take its course. lol

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Chris, I like the way you think over there.

One would hope that the "R" restricted label on the chart would limit one's liability if someone drops in and exceeds his abilities. My daughter (the Philadelphia lawyer) is constantly on my case about my liability to the point she drafted me a waiver to be signed by anyone I am taking a ride. Such a shame it has to be that way.

My thoughts are like CaptinKirk's about going on record so to speak. When I look at the hassle I got when I went back this year because my neighbor had established without listing my airport on his application and now airspace did not want to sign off because of our patterns overlapping. Never mind they had my paperwork ten years before his and they had lost the final form. Think it is the lesser of the two evils to go on record.

There is no way to tell what future requirements may be so no way to tell if it is better to register or stay dark. Damn you big brother.

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

chris erasmus wrote:it is with great interest that i read this thread. its so sad that decisions need to be based on whether you can get sued or not. we are very fortunate in south africa. you cannot sue if you do stupid things, like spilling hot coffee on yourself, or shooting yourself when you look down the barrel of a gun.
we allow darwins law to take its course. lol
Unfortunately chris such is life in our two countries at this point. Liability is only second to "acts of God" in priority.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

All of this talk has got me wanting to get mine on paper as well. Think I'll go look up the form..........
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

check with your state transportation dept they maybe able to help.
forms are
FAA 5010-5 Airport master record,
FAA 7480-1 Notice of Landing area
then some state forms for North Carolina
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Hey Kirk, did you ever get your airport ID.

Just got word that mine has been assigned. Wolfpit is now also 9NR4. As for on the chart, well guess that's down the road.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Been thinking about registering my strip for years, but just haven't thought the hassle was worth it....The land use planning department called the other day to inform me that someone complained about my strip. Don't think it was one of my neighbors. So for $300 and my day in court, I will apply for a conditional use to land on my property. I will apply for a specific location, and then to use the whole farm depending on cropping. At first I was... disappointed, but now I think it best as it will set a president for my air strip. The county planner will submit the location to the State and Feds after approval, and if the power co. wants to put a line in or the neighbors want to complain, I have a leg to stand on. Still don't like it!
Let Freedom Prevail

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your problems, there's always some dick who can't mind their own business

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Absolutely. I think one needs to get it on paper. Not real fond of county regulatory stuff when it comes to my using my own land out here in the country.