new windsock

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
captnkirk
100+ Posts

new windsock

Post by captnkirk »

It's official now I've got my new windsock up so we are open. It might help if I mark the runway but any flat spot should do for the Maule drivers here. I have to fly again tomorrow but when I get home I'll give the grass a fresh mowing and a couple of cones to mark the ends of the runway.
n35.27.2 w081.27.6 should get you close about 29.5 miles on the clt 311 radial. On a sectional it's about 3 miles due west of a small strip called Northbrook Intl. No fuel, no rental cars no service maybe a cold drink . Don't mind the dogs they don't bite yall come now ya hearImage[/url]
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Nice sock Capt.

I'm not that far away from you at 35.355,80.43. Trees on the south, Power lines on the north. You'll recognize my big orange balls. M-6 or Champ one will be in the tractor shed. Nothing much else there. I may or may not be home. My neighbor also has an M5 in his back yard. His strip about 2 miles NW and is charted (Willow).

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Kool we may have to do an NC get together
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Once we get a decent weather day when I'm not working, I'll see if I can find your airstrip. I'm based in Marion at 9A9 about 32nm NW of you.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I plan on doing some mowing in the morning if it's not to wet and hopefully set out some cones to mark it a little better. I've been working all week and want to get some maule flying in this week. So I should be around. I need to buy some oil as I'm getting close to oil change time.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Hey Kirk. Tried to find your place today but no luck. Found Northbrook Intl. and looked all about west of there. I'll try again another day. Also, looks like the coordinates you listed were south of there.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.45247,- ... a=!3m1!1e3
try that link in Google earth some times a picture is worth a thousand links. I saw a tail dragger flying around yesterday??? ;-) I was working outside till we went to a neighbors bbq. I should be on the map soon the feds have the paper work and it's approved just waiting for the next cycle I think.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks. We'll find it next time. Was just out with the boys beating around. Picked up a splash in EQY and around the big old class C over to 01SC to say howdy to a friend and back up around the back side over your area before we headed home.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Tuesdays are good most of he time Wednesday is good also weekends I'm usually flying at work. Stop by most do a pass down the runway we'll come out if we are home 123.45 is on the portable . The fly by works best tho
Kirk Johnson

RobHill

Post by RobHill »

Is it just west of Little Buffalo Creek, runway heading ~ 170? If so, looks really nice.
Ex Commercial Pilot and CFIAI

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

yes Little Buffalo Creek runs along my property line for a bit. We are going to thin our pines this year and when they do that I'm going to cut a clear way on the north end to my property line. That should give me plenty of room and if I can get a dozer in there cheap enough i'll extend the runway also. When I bought the place I bought an old backhoe did a lot of work but sold it years ago. ;-(
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Did you eve get your airport designator? A guy at state level told me last week that there was one individual handling those assignments for the whole country.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think it is all done as far as the paper work I just have not seen anything official from the FAA. There is a guy with the state that will handle the paper work I meet him at sun n fun. If your interested I can get you his email and phone number. The last word I got from him he said everything was summited and just needed one last signature.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Guy at state level is Jimmy Capps. Very nice and helpful.

Built my strip in 1971. Decided to register in 91. Submitted application, Got favorable study and submitted the 5010 form back to ATL. Never heard anything else so figured all was done. Frankly was pretty much working overtime on the runaway train back then and didn't follow up. Earlier this year decided I wanted a designator and to be charted. Talked to nice guy in MEM who now handles it. He had everything there except the 5010. Said it wasn't unusual and since it had been so long would have to resubmit. This time there was a conflict with my neighbor's strip built 10 years ago. Obviously my place was not shown on his application. After quite a battle and lots of help from Jimmy they approved it but like you am waiting.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yep Jim Capps did my paper work also. In have a small strip east of me by about 5 miles no mention was made so I assume it is a nonissue. I'd like to get on the map myself just cause it' easier to point out. If you look at a sectional Northbrook International is due east and I'm just inside the Clt class b.
Kirk Johnson