Texas to MT and back late august

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
cj8vet

Texas to MT and back late august

Post by cj8vet »

Looking at a trip to the kalispell area leaving 8/26 or so.
thinking from south texas to mid colorado or wyoming 1st leg.
any rec on airports with camping on field or possibly on field motels?
Ideas on the way back around thru the west? Ill be at 97MT
Other comments
Thanks
Mark
N234PP
MXT180
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Man, there's a lot of great country in between and NO right answer. I've flown all over much of that and can suggest you don't miss several things...

In west Texas the Caprock Canyon country is rugged and awesome from the air. Lots of history throughout Palo Duro Canyon complex. It's beauty is remarkable.

Northern NM is unspoiled and an unknown gem. Lindreth has a neat unimproved strip and I've camped there before.

Colorado's front range and eastern half is boring. The western edge is exciting without many emergency options. If you have mtn flying skills, right up the middle is wonderful. The San Luis Valley leads to Poncha pass - Salida, Buena Vista, and Leadville in that order from the south. Leadville has cheap fuel and is the highest paved airport in the US. It's cool to land there for that reason.

Wyoming can be boring or perfect depending on your route. I like Big Piney and I especially like Pinedale. The Wind River Range is rugged and full of Grizzlies, Moose, and Glacial lakes. You'll see lots of lakes and terrain from the air that is unspoiled. If you do land Pinedale, make ABSOLUTELY sure to take in the Mountain Man Museum. It's the finest museum I've ever been through (including the Smithsonian IMO)

Look forward to your trip report!

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Thanks Pinedale is now on the list. Any ideas on getting from there to either kalispell or 97MT? I have had 1 mtn flying course,have landed at leadville, I try to not make stupid choices....
Thanks again
Mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

August is an excellent time to get out of Texas! Sounds like a fun trip. Post picutes and updates!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!