Flap tuneup

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
flyfish1

Flap tuneup

Post by flyfish1 »

I have been trying to work the slop out of my flap rigging on my M4-220.
I changed the hinge bushings and adjusted the cable tension. I also installed new springs. There still seems to be some verticle play at the bellcrank. Reading an earlier post by Jeremy he suggested rebushing the bellcrank. This sounds good but when I look at the parts drawing it does not show a bushing in the bellcrank. I would appreciate any clarification or advice. Thanks.
flyfish1

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Make sure the bracket holding the bellcrank is tight and is not stressed and moving under load. If so replace.
Check the bellcrank pivot holes for wear, a tiny bit is a lot at the flap.
Push or drill the bellcrank bushing out and replace with new or make one on a lathe with good fit to the pivot bolt. If bracket holes are worn, use next size bolt and enlarge holes to match.
The bellcrank should not move up and down when loading it.
Check the pushrod ends for snug fit and no wear.
Check no flat spots or ovaling of the various pulleys.
Rig the flaps by adjusting pushrods so bottom of flap is flush with wing bottom when upward pressure is applied to flap.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Jeremy,

To piggy back on this, my flaps can be pushed up by hand into a negative setting. This also has happened with the back of the wing covers pulling the flaps up into the negative. I don't remember them doing that before. Is this normal? 73 M5 wing

Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To get correct down flap angles, the pushrods must be adjusted such that flaps up and hand pressure up produces the bottom of flap on same plane as wing bottom.
Take into account there should be bump stop glued to the back of rear spar to protect from bell rank metal to metal contact.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

OK, thanks. So the farthest I should be able to push is flush with wing bottom. Is this an unairworthy condition or something I can tune up next time plane is in shop. Thanks

Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Impossible to know the airworthyness without looking.
May be only out of adjustment, or worst case the up position is excessive because the bell rank has worn through the wing spar.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Thanks

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Loose or incorrectly adjusted control cables is generally part of your problem as well... It's generally a combination of both the cables and the control rod which is what positions the bell crank properly. If you're able to push up on flaps to negative or reflex flaps (airloads will do this in flight as well) you are technically unairworthy as aircraft does not meet the specs of TCDS. Chances are when adjusted properly you'll pick up a couple MPH as well. The reflex flaps with that short wing will cause higher AOA on main wing resulting in a good bit more drag..
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Thanks Jeremy,
When I get a chance I will take out the bellcranks and check for bushing wear and check the brackets.
Art H
flyfish1

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Thanks Aero,

Hadn't thought about the cruise aspect. I'll take it in next week and get them rigged up again. Hopefully i wont lose any ski season. Excellent down here this year

Mike

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, nice up here this year as well, though still pretty chilly...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.