Question for you Fairbanks guys...

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Question for you Fairbanks guys...

Post by crbnunit »

We will be flying in to Fairbanks around mid May and I had a few questions for those of you who call it home.

1. Is the ski strip melted off enough to be of use for wheels by that time? I'm guessing so by mid May.
2. Where is transient parking located on the GA side?
3. Where is the nearest 100LL to transient parking?
4. Might fly out to China for a few hours but no other plans for local flights unless there is something we shouldn't miss. Depends on how green the better half is by the time we get there!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

JDW

Post by JDW »

crbnunit you should be able to land on the ski strip by then. Just post on here just before you come up I'll let you know. Map of FAI http://dot.alaska.gov/faiiap/pdfs/transient_all.pdf parking rows 12 -14 across from tower & fuel there also. Great camping area you can taxi & park on the other end by the float pond

formerpacerdriver

While you're here...

Post by formerpacerdriver »

While you're in Fairbanks, you can stop by my short dirt airstrip just north of town - 25AA "Skyflight" on the sectional. I have free transient parking and camping, but no fuel. PM me for a cell phone number and I'll give actual runway conditions - it may still be muddy.
Dano
'82 M-6 235

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Thanks for the replies guys! I looked everywhere for the map you posted JDW. Don't know why I couldn't find it!

formerpacerdriver, we are coming to town for a graduation and will be dependent on a cousin for ground transpo. It might be better for us to stay at Fairbanks International so we are a little closer/easier to find. I do appreciate the invite and I'd like to take a rain check if I could. Your home strip looks like a nice one! Maybe we could get together for lunch of dinner while we are up that way?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If ski strip at international closed to wheels and skis which it is sometimes at that time of year, come on over to chena marina, about 1 mile west, we might be a little muddy, but do remain open. And you're welcome to park here free as I should have a tie down, if not we'll find one for you. We also have fuel pump on field...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hey aero101! That might be doable. Mud is no issue for the bug smasher as long as I'm not going to rut up your runway too badly. You are a lot closer and probably easier to find for our ride. Onsite fuel is a plus as well! I'll let you know as our plans firm up. Thanks for the offer!

As I told formerpacerdriver, maybe we can all get together for lunch one of the days we are in town? 8)

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Runway here is generally pretty mud free as we have fairly good drainage into float pond just beside rwy.. There are usually a couple of good sized mudpuddles, but landing short or long of them no problem. Lunch would probably be doable with me if I'm not flying... If coming in here give me a holler and I'll give you directions to our hangar, and let you know what the runway is like...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

formerpacerdriver

lunch

Post by formerpacerdriver »

We are a bit out of town, I'll admit. I just want to show off my place!

Chena Marina's a nice airstrip - way less pavement than International.

Lunch would be fun, and I hope I'll be in town that day. Let me know when.
Dano
'82 M-6 235

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Looks like a fine place! I'd like to visit, just not sure it will happen this tirp!

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

Here is a picture of Cheena Marina -- just happens to be the photo of the day on AOPA epilot today. I think that is you Aero 101 in the forefront!

http://forums.aopa.org/gallery/displayi ... c_sect=ppt

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I'll be darned.. Yes, that's mine on the beach at my hangar, then the orange beaver is inside the hangar for a annual inspection. Customer took pictures and looks like he got Metro Field, and Bettles as well.
Jim

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

Saw the picture in AOPA Epilot today. First thought was WOW they got a picture of a Maule!

JDW

Post by JDW »

Video has Jim's hanger north end of strip for 4 seconds at 1.04 to 1.08 Might look a little different in May?
http://vimeo.com/38254396