Flying in British Columbia

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Flying in British Columbia

Post by Island Flyer »

Has anyone flown into Moh Creek airstrip on the north side of Butte Inlet or Crawfish Lake on Nootka Island, British Columbia. Looks interesting on Google Earth and I was talking with a Cessna 182 pilot that has been to Moh Creek, but it has been a while and alders were starting to grow in.
Best regards,

Rhys

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

This is my stomping ground.Unfortunately most of the bush strips in this area are unusable or are quickly becoming overgrown .Last time I was into Moh creek ( which was several years ago ) it was being overgrown with alders .I doubt that it is still usable .
I keep the Crawfish stip open by going in there once a year with my brush cutter and keeping the alders down .I am fighting cancer at the moment so I don't know if I will be able to do it this year .
If you plan to land at Crawfish , try to land from south to north as there is a bit of a slope to this strip .The trees are getting taller every year around the strip and are presently about 75 feet tall at each end .
There are plenty of fish in the lake but it can be a bit of a bushwack to get to it .

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Hi M5guy, wishing you good health, good strength and good humour for your fight. All the best mate.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

truthinbeer wrote:Hi M5guy, wishing you good health, good strength and good humour for your fight. All the best mate.
Me too. :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Thanks for the info m5210guy. Where do you stop for fuel to either destination, Tofino, Nanaimo?

It will be summer when we try but I'll take some brush cutting equipment. I did talk to a pilot who was at Moh Creek last summer and cut brush there.

I hope your cancer treatment goes well, keep a good attitude. I have a number of patients in my dental practice that have been and are currently beating their cancer's back. I had a very dear friend that was able to live a wonderful life for 20 years after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she taught me about attitude. Fight hard.
Best regards,

Rhys

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

Crawfish lake is about 1:20 from Nanaimo .You will find the cheapest gas on Vancouver island at the flying club , Nanaimo .
Tofino is about 25 minutes from Crawfish lake .
Campbell river is about 40 minutes .
If you time it right , you can land on the beach down at the ocean and camp there if you like .There is a beautiful waterfall that drops onto the beach and a beach hut to sleep in .
If you give me some advanced warning before you come up this way I could fly over with you and show you some cool places .

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I will definitely take you up on that offer.
Best regards,

Rhys

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

Thank you for all the well wishes but I am doing fine .

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

m5210guy
I'm going to Winter Harbour next July to go fishing. Is there anywhere close that I could land my Maule? It looks like Port Hardy is the closest designated airport.

TomD
100+ Posts

BC

Post by TomD »

Remember to get your CANPASS updated and you can clear customs in WAY more places. I don't think I have seen a Canadian customs agent in five years using CANPASS, just a phone call and enter an entry number into your log book.

TD