Where to go...

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
rw2

Where to go...

Post by rw2 »

Looks like backcountrypilot.org used to have the most comprehensive list of fun airstrips, but now it's down. What's the canonical site these days for getting a list of available destinations?

JLB

Post by JLB »

Try shortfield.com.
Last edited by JLB on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimD

Post by JimD »

Yep..... have to admit..... had to wikipedia: canonical
Learned a new word today.
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:?:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rw2

Post by rw2 »

JimD, MauleWacko: Man, that word is so common in my industry (computer scientist working in collaboration with national physics labs and big life sciences researchers) that I didn't even remember that normal people don't generally use it. :D

JLB: Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't seen that. I'll have to spend some time with it and see if I can get what I want. Seems like it would be more useful if there were a few more ways to refine the search, but I've only spent two minutes playing with it.

MauleWacko: I didn't end up buying the Nebraska plane. I found another one though and it's just passed the pre-purchase inspection. Flying out to visit it and get some training this weekend. Maybe I'll be a Mauler soon!

I live in Chicago. My family has a farm in the hills of rural Wisconsin with a set aside suitable for a 1200 strip. I will be working most of 2013 in the mountains of Mexico, about 2 Maule hours away from the beaches on each coast.

I just checked http://www.aopa.org/airports/advanced. Seems like it might be useful. If you specify unpaved and longer than 1000 ft then you avoid heliports and less primitive airstrips.