Satisfying journey log requirement for flight into Canada?

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
rjb
100+ Posts

Satisfying journey log requirement for flight into Canada?

Post by rjb »

Has anyone on this site ever been asked for a journey log?

I've ordered one and I'll fill it out before I enter Canada and while I am flying in Canada but I'm not a fan of paperwork; at the least, it will be another memento.

I've been doing electronic pilot logs since October 2008 and I guess I'll also start up a paper pilot logbook for this trip.

I'd appreciate comments about how people handle paperwork requirements.

I've been watching the weather and I gather that flying north is similar to mountain flying: be on the ground by noon as weather gets frisky between noon and 6 pm. From what I have seen, it seems that flying after 6 pm for a couple of hours is generally benign.

I've got my copilot and an east and a west route up to Tuktoyaktuk; now plane, copilot and I have to stay healthy.

Thanks,
Dick

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Hmmm....
I've flown back and forth between the lower 48 and Alaska at least a dozen times now, and never heard of a journey log; what is it? I used to use paper logbooks, but switched to electronic a few years ago.

As far as not flying in the afternoon, there is no need for a specific time restriction; decide based on the weather. I have often done the trip by flying from about 7:00 am until 10:00 pm, stopping only for fuel. In other words, flying all day. I've also sat for three days straight waiting out the weather. Much of the trip IS mountain flying, but you can fly in the mountains any time of day, if the conditions are right (they often just fine in the afternoon).

Andy

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

RMC Inc. puts out a little pamphlet titled "Quick refresher FLYING TO CANDA".

In the aircraft requirement section, they list "journey log"

From the COPA web site
http://www.copanational.org/EntriesInLogbooks.cfm
Canadian air regulations since October 1996, require a journey log.

-Dick

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Never heard of it. Reading the link it looks like the required w and b and cg is in POH, maintenance and AF and Eng times are in Airframe logbook and flight is in pilot log book which it appears they want you to fill out each flight day end.
I'm with Andy re flight time. Go when wx is good, hang out and explore when wx bad. The Canadian Flight service stations are extremely helpful and educational re wx and routes. You can file Flight Notes instead of Flight Plans to get more leeway re closing your Plan if weathered in somewhere without contact.
There is so much daylight that daytime/nighttime takes on a new meaning.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I called up AOPA pilot information services.

Their opinion is that the journey log pertains to maintenance. Therefore since an N numbered aircraft follows FAR maintenance requlations, the aircraft is not required to have a journey log.

TomD
100+ Posts

Journey log

Post by TomD »

This from Transport Canada might help. Pretty much spells out requirements.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 5-2438.htm

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

What I read in the link is that Technical Records is a separate division from the maintenance division so I certainly would not have assumed that FAR maintenance made it a non-issue.

However, I'm willing to use the information I got from AOPA.

Of interest, was that Transport Canada requires oxygen above 10000 for durations more than 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Dick

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Used to be no night vfr and no vfr on top but that could've changed.
Years ago the vfr altitudes were different, no +500ft but that changed in the '70s I think.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

That is the same O2 requirement as in the U.S. under Part 135 (commercial) ops. Different from Part 91 (private) ops.

I think the no night VFR/no VFR on top still applies. In fact, to my knowledge, the U.S. is the only country that allows either.

Andy

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

Night VFR is permissible (if you can find night)

CARs Division VI - Flight Rules

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 2-2436.htm

602.114 & 602.115
Above 1000' AGL, visual reference to ground, 3 miles vis. 500 vertically from clouds, 1 mile horizontally if controlled airspace, 2000' if uncontrolled.

For those with instrument ratings and current,
602.116 specifies the conditions for flying VFR Over-the-top

Dick