Southern Utah Desert Trip

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Paul Amstutz

Southern Utah Desert Trip

Post by Paul Amstutz »

Got some time off and good weather together and headed off into the desert. Planned on camping out and visiting some new strips out of GH's "Fly Utah". I've programmed all the outback strips into the Garmin 250 so I can see the sites instead of trying to navigate topagraphy constantly. Wind in the mornings was calm until about 1000, and by noon wind was picking up so I went hiking. It was warm!Image[/img]Image[/img]Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]Image[/img]Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]Image[/img]Image[/img]Image[/img]Imagehttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z42 ... 120887.jpg[/IMG]Image[/img]ImageImageImage[/img]Images/z424/PaulAmstutz/P1130029.jpg[/IMG][/img]Image[/img]

Please forgive the pictures scattered around, the first picture leaving SLC is at the end. I will try to figure this out better next time. Anyway, landed at Mexican Mountain and set up camp. Strip is dry and in good shape, a few loose sandy spots but few ruts. Went for a hike and had company when I came back. One Fellow returning to Wyoming, and his friends were from Aspen. Winds next AM the wind was calm and headed east, over Green River and to KCYN for fuel. Landed at Mineral Canyon and spent the night. Winds picked up again at 1030 or so. Wednesday AM headed southwest and eventually found the Dirty Devil River. Followed the river downstream to the strip on a little mesa in a bend of the river. Spent the day hiking as the wind really picked up in the afternoon. Thursday morning headed to Happy Canyon, parked by the old Miners shack and hike around. Flew south, was going to land Wee Hope Mine strip, but 20k cross wind burbling up over edge of mesa dissuaded me. Went on down to Lake Powell around Bullfrog Basin but the wind was still growing so headed back home to U42 (smaller GA airport about 10 miles south of SLC) with a 30k tailwind. Lots of solitude to be found out in the desert.Image[/img]

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Fantastic photos Paul, thanks for sharing!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Beautiful! Love that country... In the winter!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!