Wrangell St Elias National Park & Pres

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
8714yy

Wrangell St Elias National Park & Pres

Post by 8714yy »

Soooo, Flew to the park and preserve for the July 4th weekend. Left out of Anchorage after work, stopped in Gulkana to top off and arrived at May Creek about 7:30. 2.5 of flying, What a great place! The public cabin was tremendous. Clean and cozy. My wife loved it. we flew around to the other stips in the area, Peavine, Glacier Creek, to check out those cabins. All of them clean, organized and the way to "camp". Might have to think about a hunting trip in the park. I hear the drive from Anchorage to McCarthy is about 10 hrs so the 2.5 plus .5 at Gulkana was easy. We stopped in McCarthy coming back and took a shuttle to Kenicott to check out the old mine. What a trip and can't wait to go back soon. At least once more before summers out to scout for hunting/landing areas. The Claus family have a great "back yard".
David Allen

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Nice report. The second positive one this month! We are heading that way next weekend. Spent last weekend at the Bold aristrip. Had the area all to ourselves. Someone added some tiedowns. The strip is in good shape and has been cleared but the wind sock could use replacing!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

8714yy

Post by 8714yy »

Seems anywhere there is actually a sock, it needs help. Can't wait to get back there.
David Allen