Melbourne to Noosa Easter 2011

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Crash Gordon

Melbourne to Noosa Easter 2011

Post by Crash Gordon »

Short Video of our flight from Melbourne to Noosa for your interest. Hope you like the Moody Blues!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0G2jMOKkIA

iPad using the Air Nav Pro App. Uses real WAC, VNC and VTC charts and worked very well as an aid. Also able to submit Flight plan and Sar time with NAIPS App. OzRunways App. used for ERSA and AIPS information.
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

enyaw

Post by enyaw »

I´m an aussie living in Austria (wife is Austrian) and a Maule fan, too.

I´ve been watching your posts since you imported your Maule to Oz. Very interesting process indeed.

I just wanted to say that I grew up in Brisbane and loved the film of the north coast hinterland, especially Mt. Tibrogargan and the Glass house mountains. Thanx for the post. :D

Ps. and the Moody Blues was choice too. 8)

Adam
Adam

Crash Gordon

Post by Crash Gordon »

Thanks Adam, we were surprised at how beautiful and interesting the trip was. We didn't neet the oil temp problems on the way back, but the plane performed as well or better than expected, and certainly turned heads at the places we landed. There was a Maule parked in the hangar at Noosa airport, so I guess there may be a few around in Queensland.

My main reason for the trip was to meet up with some old Army mates from 1972 (Nashos) and go to the ANZAC Dawn Service in Cooroy. We had a great time together and swam along Noosa Beach etc. just like 21 year olds again!

Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

Des

Maule at Noosa airstrip

Post by Des »

Hi Jeff,
Sorry I Missed you at noosa. My 1977 M5 has been flying out of Noosa since it was imported from Florida in 1998.
Our main adventures have been north to Mornington Island via inland and return via Qld coast and eight return trips to our shack at Bradys Lake in Tasmania. We use an Ag strip near the shack. Most trips south have been via Dubbo, Latrobe valley, Flinders Island then Hobart.
Flying time Noosa - Hobart is about 9.5 hours.
Have been across Bass Straight via Torquay & King Island( great place for cheese & scallop pies).
Would like to catch up with you next tine we come south

Des

Crash Gordon

Trip to Tassie

Post by Crash Gordon »

Hi Des,

Thanks for the post. This is a great way to connect the Maule Planes and Pilots even in OZ.

I will let you into a secret. I am from Tassie, and would love to fly there via King Island (pick up the Rock Lobster, Abalone and Cheese) and have a large Cray Bake at my brother's home just out of George Town at Low Head.

Brady's Lake would make a fantastic bolt hole with very good trout fishing. Have you visited the new MONA museum of Old and New Art in Hobart? Absolutely World Class! It is totally underground with a winery and brewery above ground!!

Hope to catch up with you. There is another Maule owner here in Victoria who will probably fly with us if we can organise the dates to suit his airline pilot's schedule.

http://mona.net.au/
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Sorry in advance for the thread drift. I am in Sydney and part way through PPL. Current plan is to buy a Maule when I am certified. I can't comprehend flying across Bass Strait with present knowledge but definitely on my list of must do adventures. Looking at Maule prices locally I could end up going the import route as well.

Grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience available on this site.

Crash Gordon

Maules in Oz

Post by Crash Gordon »

Good to hear another prospective Maule owner in Oz. Good luck with your PPL. I got through mine on the 3rd of August 2011 and am still learning heaps. Currently doing my \night rating. It has taken me over 160 hours to feel comfortable landing, as going though a couple of different instructors sort of changed the game play a bit and I am only now developing my own style. I have one other person here in Melbourne wanting to import a M7-180 and maybe another interested. So the community is growing in Oz. I will be in Sydney for a few weeks from the 29th May, getting a double hip operation, so it would be good to catch up and have a talk. Ring me on 0439317449.
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Thanks Jeff. You have a pm.