N954MT Flying to Oz

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Crash Gordon

N954MT Flying to Oz

Post by Crash Gordon »

I have just bought a MXT-7-180A from Ong Nebraska. I had the plane inspected and flown from Fairmont Nebraska-Oklahoma City,via -Albuquerque, New Mexico-Phoenix, Arizona-Las Vegas and finally to Nevada-Yolo County Airport where it will be packed into a container and shipped to Melbourne Australia next week.

I am really looking forward to the planes arrival in Jan-Feb. There is an Airshow in Avalon (near Geelong, Victoria) on March 3-4 and I hope to be able to fly it in.

In Australia we have a different Mark system all beginning with VH. I have been able to reserve VH YMT. I think that will be good continuity for the plane.

I have been reading all the information contained within these pages and marvel at the knowledge and friendliness and will definately keep in contact.

There are quite a few Maules registered in Australia, but only one for sale which says a lot about the strength of ownership here.

Pics of N954MT being dismantled for shipping. Image Image
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

Ben Jaensch

Post by Ben Jaensch »

Welcome to the Melbourne Mauling community, Jeff!

I keep my M5 on the same farm strip as a M7, just near Bacchus Marsh. Let us know when you get her flying!

Ben

Crash Gordon

Post by Crash Gordon »

Thanks Ben, I will be looking forward to meeting you and others after the pane arrives and is put together.
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

Post by Crash Gordon »

Plane being packed into the Container for shipping.

Image Image
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Best wishes on the completion of the trip.
Have always fantasized about flying in Australia. Hopefully we will be able to see some of these sights through your eyes and photos?

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

Crash Gordon

Post by Crash Gordon »

Thanks Gene,

I will keep the posts and pics coming after the plane arrives. Now that we have been Oprah-ed here in Aus, there is sure to be a bit of interest in flying over for a holiday.

I should start a Maule Swap Holiday Page for people wanting to come out here and fly into the Outback.

Regards,

Jeff Gordon
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Maule Swap Holiday- Sounds like a good idea, and I'd be interested!! Would give me a excuse to get out of the cold winter up here for awhile!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

aero101 wrote:Maule Swap Holiday- Sounds like a good idea, and I'd be interested!! Would give me a excuse to get out of the cold winter up here for awhile!!
Makes too much sense, I'm in, really how else could a poor gut like me fly in some of those exotic places? Or how could you guy's say island hop in the Bahamas?

Crash Gordon

Post by Crash Gordon »

Sydney and Melbourne are on the East Coast of Oz so if you live on the West Coast of the US the hop is not too long. I would like to keep it within the Maule owner community, as the plane would be just too much fun for other pilots :lol:

Central Australia is very beautiful and usually offers great hospitality. It is best visited during the dry season from May through to October.

Also Tasmania to the South of Oz is one of hell of a beautiful Island.

A Maule will let you fly to these out of the way places and experience the real Oz, away from the tourist hotsposts of the Rock the Coathanger and the Beach.
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope she makes it safe. I have the same model Maule. Good simple ship. Enjoy!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Crash Gordon

Arrival and re-assembly in Australia

Post by Crash Gordon »

The container arrived in Melbourne on the Hanjin San Diego on Australia Day the 26th January 2011 after nearly 6 weeks at sea.

A few days later after being cleared by customs the plane was unpacked from its container and is now being re-assembled by Flight Safety Australia at Moorabbin Airport.

Re-assembly should take two weeks, with all checks completed and the plane ready to fly.

The Australian Registration will be VH - YMT

Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

Thanks for sharing . Your post has given me food for thought .Would you mind sharring with us the cost of shipping your bird to Aus ?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Two weeks to re-assemble sounds way too long.
I have managed it in 3 days and a week maximum, in a number of countries, unless of course you refer to the import paperwork.
Congratulations on 'your ship coming in'.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Crash Gordon

Cost of Shipping

Post by Crash Gordon »

Cost for Inspection, internal flight from Nebraska to California, packing and shipping was

Acquisition Fee $ 3,950.00
Ferry fees, see attached invoice $ 3,284.89
Dismantling, Packing and loading $ 2,100.00
Manufacture special cradle to support aircraft & materials $ 645.00
Title Search $ 83.00
Shipping includes:
1, Inland transportation from dock to Yolo airport,
To fumigators, to dock
2. Fumigation
3. Shipping to Melbourne $ 4,710.00
Marine Insurance $ 790.00

Total amount due: $15,562.89

Then when you get it to Aus there is the fee for getting the container out of the Port to a customs facility $1,800 + GST $8,000 plus the cost of re-assembly.

Two weeks does seem a long time, but the plane has to have a thorough inspection to the point of fly away.

Nobody said it would be cheap, but I have the plane that I want and as no similar Maules were for sale in Oz then this was the only option.
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

Thanks for the break down .Well that rules out my plans to ship my Maule to Aus for a flying holiday. :cry: