N954MT Flying to Oz

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Crash Gordon

Flying Holiday in Oz

Post by Crash Gordon »

Yes it is very expensive to import a plane into Oz.

If you are thinking of a flying holiday in Oz. Then maybe I can help you with a hire rate for my Maule.
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

TomD
100+ Posts

flying holiday

Post by TomD »

If you are thinking of a flying holiday in Oz. Then maybe I can help you with a hire rate for my Maule.
When I was in Australia I was really wishing I could do some flying. I may take you up on that hire rate.

All I need to know is "why is the little wheel on the wrong end?" 8)

Crash Gordon

Little wheels keep on turning!

Post by Crash Gordon »

The little wheel at the wrong end is for a pilot like me with little hours!

One day I hope to graduate to the little wheel at the right end :)

Until then; little wheels keep on turning.

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff Gordon

"An Aviator's life may be full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about flying is the ground."
Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

MXT-7 Comet almost ready to fly!

Post by Crash Gordon »

Three weeks have slipped by and Flight Safety Australia have nearly completed their thorough examination and tests. The transponder is away being checked and apparently Com 2 is not transmitting. But the C of A is close and a test flight is expect on Wed 2nd March with a fly in to the Avalon Airshow on the 3rd. At least that is the plan!

Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

TomD
100+ Posts

M4

Post by TomD »

fly in to the Avalon Airshow
http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/index.html

Boy would I love to come with you!! I went to the Avalon airshow in 2001 which was the Federation Centenary. What a show!!

I must have gone through a gallon of sun screen and my neck hurt for a week from gawking.

The train ride down from Melbourne was loaded w/ airplane fanatics and the conversations with some of the old guys was great.

TD

Crash Gordon

AVALON AIRSHOW

Post by Crash Gordon »

YMT all checked out and safe, after a little problem with oil temperature, fixed with a new theromstat.

We flew into Avalon with 4 POB and full tanks (73 Gal). We had a long day with plenty of the latest gadgets and gizmos to see. Big jets and small overhead making heaps of noise, plus the usual array of stunt and aerobatic pilots strutting their stuff.

In the cockpit we had two CPLs with over 36,000 hours beween them, so I felt safe even with low cloud and rain squalls.

On the day we were the only Maule represented at the Show, so I am glad we got there to fly the flag.
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

Another good reason to have the little wheel at the front

Post by Crash Gordon »

2 Amigos having sundowners after returning from flying MXT-7-Comet VH-YMT from a beautiful day coastal flight along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.

Taildraggers please note picnic table for beer and chips. Another good reason to have the Little Wheel at the front.

Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

hmmmm. valid point there crash.. great beer holder

Crash Gordon

Training in the Comet

Post by Crash Gordon »

A very nice day for flying. Light Northerly with just a touch of crosswind and very good weather for my second day out under instruction from CPI Dave Prossor.

Noticed that the Maule is very much a fly by feel a/c and I still have much work to do to stabalize attitude and therefore airspeed on approach. Compared to the Tecnam the Maule below 70knots sinks faster even with 40% flaps.

Will take me some more hours to get it right. But the plane feels smooth & solid in the air. There are no other Maules being trained on in Melbourne and the instructor is impressed. He said the hand built quality comes through compared to the mass produced planes he is used to.

Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

Fly in to Loam Restaurant

Post by Crash Gordon »

It was a beautiful Saturday for a fly to Loam Restaurant on the Bellarine Peninsula. The 165 acre Olive plantation and general farming property has a very usable airstrip and a 2 hatted restaurant called LOAM.

We enjoyed the delicate and delicious food and our friends flew in to join us in FSG.

The Property is on the market for about $4 mil. not including the Olive pressing equipment.

Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

Flying Bass Strait in my Maule

Post by Crash Gordon »

Took off from Moorabbin to fly across Bass Strait to Low Head, just North of Georgetown in Tasmania on the 1st Feb 2012. A 20kn Headwind meant we climbed and cruised at only 80kns, so 2.5 hrs later with my bladder bursting we touched down in Flinders Island for a pee and a look around. The locals are very friendly, but we were told that unless we organised it 24 hours in advance we could not buy a crayfish (Rock Lobster) for dinner.

My copilot and fellow Maule driver Ben Jaensch (Capt. with Virgin Blue) wanted to fly back that night by Jet, so I dropped him off at Launceston Airport and then flew down the Tamar River, no higher than 1,500ft. Total 4.1 hours flying to Low head where my bother lives at Lagoon Bay. An absolutely magic part of the World and worth a look on Google Earth.

Stayed a couple of nights before making preparations to fly back solo direct to Moorabbin. Climbed out of YGTO to 8,500 ft with 15 minute over-water skeds and inflatable life-jacket on. An hour in and I could see the Mainland (as we call it) of Victoria. So I celebrated with a Nut-Bar and continued on, descending to 6,500 to go under stratus cloud and then 4,500. I landed at Moorabbin after 2.2 hours flying. My Maule MXT Comet performed flawlessly all the way.

Regards
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith

Crash Gordon

Pubs to Fly to in Oz

Post by Crash Gordon »

Here is a Google Map compiled of interesting destinations in Oz that you may like to fly to one day.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid= ... 1953#bmb=1
Jeff Gordon

Charles Kingsford Smith