Southeast Lunch Bunch

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Southeast Lunch Bunch

Post by gbarrier »

The planning committee met on the way from the hotel after Maule and All. The next meeting date is Oct. 27 at (where else) the Pic-N-Pig. About noon will work.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Weather permitting the Northern representative will be there
The best Government, is less Government.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I will put that date on my soon to be open schedule retirement 10 days 9 hours 55 mins and counting.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

captnkirk wrote:I will put that date on my soon to be open schedule retirement 10 days 9 hours 55 mins and counting.
Where's the "like button"!
TJ Van Matre

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Looking forward to it.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Well, unfortunately weather doesn't appear to want to play nice for our BQ1 outing tomorrow. Looks like a rain date (read: Low celing/vis) is in order

any suggestions?
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Weather isn't going to cooperate. I second Kirk's request for a rain date. November is booked for me. How about early December?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Rained up my way this morning,looking forward to the rain date and see y'all

drak130
100+ Posts

Re: Southeast Lunch Bunch

Post by drak130 »

A bit of bad news here in NC.

The Pick-n-Pig suffered a complete loss over the weekend. A 3am fire burned the place to the ground. The original smoke house is all that is left standing. They do have a funding page up and vow to build as soon as possible.

Just wanted to let the out of towners know so they don't make the trek in vain.

Tim

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Yep herd about it via their Facebook page ( wife does the book-o-face) . Really a shame it was such an awesome kind of place, hopefully when they get it rebuild it keeps that texture that old places like this have. :cry:

Any ideas on another place anywhere close'ish to compare to the Pig ?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Oh no! I was just about to suggest that we have a Pik-n-Pig run now that things are getting back to normal. Hickory Regional Airport (KHKY) has a decent cafe that is accessible from the ramp. It's a tower controlled airport with decent controllers. No grass to land on, though. Rutherford County Airport (KFQD) has a cafe next to the terminal that's not bad but small. There's a decent barbecue place, the Flying Pig within walking distance of Shelby Airport (KEHO). It was closed for renovations last time I was there, but it may be open now. According to funplacestofly.com Martha's Grill at Montgomery County Airport (43A) in Star, NC east of Charlotte has an on-field restaurant but I've never been there. Suzanne's Cafe at Blue Ridge Airport (KMTV) in Martinsville VA isn't too far away for NC pilots and it's very good. The restaurant is in the terminal building.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Maybe one of y'all's North Carolina guys will check out Marthia's Grill, it's exactly the same distance as BQ1 for all practical purposes. If it's good might be worth a few visits while the pick-n-pig does it's impression of a Phoenix

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Anyone interested in a southeast lunch bunch Maule get together at KMTV Martinsville VA? They have a good on-field restaurant and bushwheel-friendly grass beside the hard surface runway. It's a reasonable distance for most of us. They close at 2:30 pm on weekdays and 4:00 pm on weekends.

The Pik-N-Pig is still rebuilding from the fire. Their website says that they are hoping to re-open this summer.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I checked out Martha's Grill at 43A in Star NC a while ago. I think KMTV in Martinsville VA is a nicer airport with a better restaurant.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

andy wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:57 am
Anyone interested in a southeast lunch bunch Maule get together at KMTV Martinsville VA?

The Pik-N-Pig is still rebuilding from the fire. Their website says that they are hoping to re-open this summer.
Yes, I’m interested! Weekdays usually work better for me than weekends. We’ve been to Suzanne’s (kmtv) several times over the winter. Good food and reasonable prices. Jason has cheap(er) fuel in the field too. (No fuel is cheap anymore)

The new BBQ restaurant @ JNX is pretty great too.

I’ve still yet to try Martha’s or Stanton’s BBQ.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C