a bike ride

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
Rezrider
100+ Posts

a bike ride

Post by Rezrider »

As my user name suggests, I ride bicycles. This past weekend I finished one of the toughest rides in North America.
I rode the Rico 100 in Colorado. A 100 mile mountain bike ride up in the mountains.
It took me 14 hours, started in the dark and cold at 6 am. I finished at 8 pm with lights.
14,000 feet of climbing, we hit 12,000 feet MSL 3 times on the ride.

I could hardly walk the next day. This was a real test of mental as well as physical fortitude.
I'm pleased to have made it. Riding bikes is a great thing even if at a very basic level.
I encourage everyone to ride a bike for your fitness and your health.
Who knows, it may even help you keep your medical!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Well done boet, I personally avoid any mode of transport that doesn't run on fuel lol

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

GOOD JOB REZ :D

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I have a giant vt-3 - I really need to go find which stall of the barn I crammed it into and see if it still rolls!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

leo

Post by leo »

Well done Rezrider! Used to cycle a lot when I was younger and can measure your accomplishment!

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I'll help tie your thread to Maules- one of the reasons I got mine was so I can easily carry my bicycles around in the back. :-)
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

ajak wrote:I'll help tie your thread to Maules- one of the reasons I got mine was so I can easily carry my bicycles around in the back. :-)
That was 90% of the reason I chose the Maule, the baggage door and cargo area for a bike!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I've done some 50 milers but it was on horseback and that was tough enough for me. I don't think I can fit the horse in the back of the Maule so that idea is out.
I guess I'm with Chris I'm not riding that far on anything that doesn't burn gas or hay or something. :D
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Excellent Rezrider! That is a LOT of climbing, and you weren't making those climbs on smooth pavement. That is an epic feat. I got tired just reading about it. I'll salute your effort with a road bike ride when I get home this weekend. I won't go as far, and I won't climb as high, but I will finish faster! Keep the wheels turning!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

cheers mate :lol:
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

any photos?

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I didnt take any since I was focused on turning the pedals but I'll dig around and see if anyone else took some pics.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

martinwalker1

A Bike Ride

Post by martinwalker1 »

Great accomplishment. Someone should put together a Maule Mountain Bike Ride. When I lived in Colorado I had a favorite (crazy) ride that we could do. We fly into Leadville airport (easy in a Maule) and bike to Fairplay over Mosquito pass. Return over Weston pass (much easier since it is just a dirt road that can be driven in a car).

I haven't done this ride in around 20 years (when I was in my mid 40s) but I would love an excuse to fly my Maule to KLXV and we know how easy it is to pack a mountain bike in the back. OK. It's on my bucket list now. If I do this flight/ride, I'll take pictures. Would be great to have company.

Martin

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Is there an old cemetery along that route? Some of us may need one if we attend this event.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

pilot wrote:Is there an old cemetery along that route? Some of us may need one if we attend this event.
Agreed. ;)

That is an impressive personal test Rezrider.

When I die I'd like to do so peacefully, in my sleep, not grasping my chest whilst lying in the dirt at the side of some rocky path. :wink: