Weather and global warming

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

How have i missed out on his thread? Is it too late to post up?

I enjoy pondering the idea of global warmin, or at least the "sky is falling" reaction to it as being, at least in part, a collective delusion. What I think is happening here is that vague anxieties we all harbor, but dont understand very well are somewhat contained when we round them up and externalize them onto some target. Then, we get all busy trying to do something about 'it" in a desperate, misguided attempt to save ourselves. This is the root of scapegoating, as I understand it.

So here it is, in the form of global warming (whether true or not) hysteria (probably an over reaction).

Was it Dylan Thomas who said "This is how the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper"?

There you have it: the secular apocalypse! Not the dramatic scortching of the Good Book, but a slow roast, one plodding incremental degree after another. Just as tedious as some of the athiests I know. ;-)

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Ill throw two cents in ...

Over the last 60-70 years, the scientific community began to embrace many differing scientific theories and began to publish those theories as fact. Those theories were taught at the highest levels of learning and were not to be questioned. Years later, many of those "facts" have been dismissed and replaced with new "facts" which of course are more theories.
By now, of course, several generations of people have to deal with the contradictions produced by these educated guesses that happened years ago.
It seems to me that if science had stuck to objective research and left the theories to the philosophy classroom, they would have more credibility regarding issues like global warming.

Mikew

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I really appreciate Don's weighing in here with the benefits of relevant scientific background combined with his thoughtful presentation of his views.

I have to say I'm surprised the matter of human-induced climate change is as settled as he portrays it, but I also must confess my own background is in social science, where there is almost nothing that is so clearly settled.

Further to that, let me add a gripe that is actually germane, that in social science, many times the spirit of the times changes, old ideas are thrown over for new ones, but not because science has solved the issue. To the contrary, it is often politics, opportunism or expediency which win out over what the scientific data have to say.

And about scientific data and the scientists who generate it . . . You would think they are driven by lofty principles of the pursuit of truth, knowledge, justice, liberty, the American way of life, whatever. But so often, positions become polarized and galvanized, motivated by the sheer preference of belief, and the need to defend it and discredit the other guy's research. Not to understand and explain the differences. Presentations of "facts" are misleadingly spun, deliberately abbreviated for the purpose of being persuasive, rather than revealing. I could name and explain researchers in my own area of expertise that are opportunistic to the point of (in my view) deliberate deceit -- a deceit that disadvantages vulnerable consumers of their product . . . . but I say this only to make the point that I'm not talking off the cuff.

There was a post, one or two comments back, venting on a not unrelated issue of distrust of scientific "knowledge" because it changes, but I would say this isn't necessarily bad, and can actually be looked at in a favourable light. Our "knowledge" is tempered by limitations at all times, subject to advances. If science is doing what it's supposed to do, then researchers recognized they ought to be open at all times to new observations that come along and reveal old conclusions were wrong, and that there is a better understanding that accounts for the new and the old observations.

Well, I could go on, but I'd probably just end up repeating myself.

I would like to only add that this discussion is very interesting because of it's diversity. Not just diversity in view points, but the levels of participation. Some are contributing highly technical expertise, others opinions of the so-called layman, others, their political concerns related to the question of climate change, and others perspectives partly influenced by issues of faith.

Despite the different levels, perspectives, backgrounds, it's a civil and enjoyable (at least for me as I've read it) conversation. No tempers, no threats, no dead bodies -- and I know some of you own guns!

I can't think of another forum I've been on that would remain so polite in the face of so many differences.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

As I read the posts on this issue, it occurs to me that it is not really relevant that there is global warming or cooling... The frustration comes from the ridiculous way that we are enabling governments and individuals to take our hard earned wealth and put it in their pockets without our consent! Maybe more importantly that we (U.S.) are squandering the hard earned wealth of our nation to solve a problem that is so elusive that it really can't even be identified.

Our State is on the edge of passing a "carbon" tax that will be so destructive to the business community, that when she is done with it, (and the $15per hour min wage) we will be a welfare state.....and I'm sure that the "environment" (ecologically speaking) will not change in the slightest!

DonLindsay. I'm sure that, by your posts, you hold "science" and scientists in the highest regards...you must climb off that horse! There is no credibility to the profession any more. That is the fault of all the trash scientists that have a sound bite opinion on everything from global warming to how horrible Monsanto is. Those, unlike you, have pillaged your industry so ruthlessly that it may never regain its ivory pillars. That truly is a shame!
Let Freedom Prevail

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I am not a scientist but I do happen to have a degree from Northwestern in biology with a minor in analytical chemistry, so I have interacted with the scientist community a wee bit. I certainly don't mind efforts to clean up anything that causes environmental harm or reduce harmful emissions from manufacturing or other things. I do think it is possible for our global impact to cause climate change but I am not in panic mode - like has been said already a few people have found a way to cash in on their interpretation of the data and perhaps have given the legit guys a black eye of sorts.

As for now, I have a really bad-ass sounding Franklin 220 on an engine stand swinging a 78" prop, I think Ill go chain it to something and blow some carbon out the tailpipes.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

I wonder, if we run on the lean side of peak, we can take some comfort that we're doing our small bit for the environment.

cs409
100+ Posts

Non-Maule

Post by cs409 »

For those that are interested here's a couple of sites . I use one of the sites daily(which I find about 40% accurate) and the other I just found online. May be good reading/interaction for some.

http://www.climate-debate.com/forum

and here is a weater forecast site

http://www.weather.gov/

[/url]

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Several years ago we had to buy carbon credits to cover the several trips a year we fly the jet to Europe. The admin. fees of the people regulating/handling us was considerably higher than the carbon credits. Now they have backed off, temporarily i'm sure, on the small users but the annual admin. fees goes on. Not sure how a single dollar of that money has made this world a better place.

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

Don wrote "This was journalism at its finest, about on a par with Loch Ness Monster stories."

It lives just up the road from me. Can't believe you're questioning it's existence !!

Derek

ps good discussion though

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

At the last G20 meeting in Brisbane Australia, Obama signed you poor suckers up to a deal that entails the US industry having to meet restrictive carbon emission targets that will kill off your competitiveness whilst carbon pumping China does absolutely zip about any reduction in carbon emissions until 2030. At that point their carbon emission targets will be set in respect of their 2030 levels. I gather this will mean your balance of trade will skew toward greater imports of goods. China don't seem to be as worried about global warming as they are in securing more favourable trade positions.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Now where'd he get all his personal wealth? From his job as a community organizer?
Let Freedom Prevail

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That and his Nobel Prize... What was that for again? Evidently anyone can get one of those things now days.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

bennevis

Post by bennevis »

It has been happening since Christ was a boy? we cant fight it we have to learn to adapt or end up like the dinosaurs they never learned to adapt and look what happened to them!!!!!!!.
Politicians and the do gooders cannot rectify this with a handful of dollars.

leo

Post by leo »

OK, man made global warming is indeed a matter of belief, and more fundamentally a matter of trust in the scientific process. But what's been puzzling me in this thread is the arbitrary selectiveness that the distrust of climatology entails.

Every time we fly our Maules we trust the scientific process in some way or another. We trust for example that the alloys that our engine is made of were correctly engineered, correctly processed and that their strength and other properties were correctly calculated, we trust that the fuel we use was correctly engineered and manufactured, we trust that the statistical theory that goes behind quality control is valid, we trust that the floating point units of the computers that run all the necessary calculations for the above are correct, etc. We also trust that the models that were used to come up with the METARs, TAFs, and other weather products are going to be somewhat right...

We probably make these same assumptions in the medical field too. We trust that the drugs we take are not going to kill us, that they are properly formulated, dosed, tested, etc. We trust the research that goes behind vaccines, antibiotics, anesthetics, cancer drugs, etc.

I'm not saying we blindly trust, I'm just saying we trust up to a certain extent a vast amount of the scientific knowledge that has been produced.

Of course, the scientific process is not perfect and scientists are human. We know that some drug trial results were biased because of commercial imperatives, and we know some theories were incorrect and later falsified. But that doesn't make medical science invalid nor does it mean that all the scientists who work in that field are dishonest or idiots.

In the same way climate science is indeed imperfect and made by humans, but most climatologists are neither dishonest nor idiots and most of its theories are not invalid.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Much scientific research is based on grants. Without the right sort of published study results scientists can expect to remain unfunded. Any reason why we are sceptical.
The report that precipitated the common global warming debate, that the Himalayas were melting, was a false report. The figures show that if anything there is more freezing conditions in recent years than before. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ified.html
Charlatans such as Al Gore have made a tidy business from his selective claims which just go to show that we are all entitled to an opinion.