Weather and global warming

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

Truthinbeer said: Well I am of the persuasion that apart from the entitled generation who maintain the right to everything, there are simply far too many people on the planet.
I have no idea if there are too many people on mother earth but if that is true then the reason for this problem lies within your user name. Truthinbeer.............without Beer, there would be LESS ugly people sex. they should have a warning lable on all beer bottles/cans etc. :roll:

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The temperature of the planet has been flat since 1997. No global warming in the past 18 years.

The issue may be there was a cooling trend from 1940-1975 so this normalization may look like warming to some who look at the data.

Recall it was not long ago that those who cried the sky is falling were talking about global COOLING and we were headed to the ice age.

There are two ways to reconcile this approach:

One is to say the climatologists in favor of man induced global catastrophe don't know what they are talking about OR...

We averted an ice age with our cool V8 cars and SUVs and Lycomings (and Continentals and Franklins). 8) In that case thank goodness for global warming.

There is data artic ice is up by 50% since 2012. Since I have no pet polar bears I can't say this matters much to me, but it would argue against the ice caps melting, as Al Gore predicted would have happened by now. So the 'credibility' of the patron saint of GW is gone.

Almost all of the models showing huge temperature gains have turned out to be wrong.

The GW discussion is as much (more?) political as scientific.

If we want to worry about the sky falling, energy in this discussion is misplaced.

What about a nuclear North Korea?
Our president allowing Iran to develop nuclear weapons?
A nuclear Pakistan pointed at a nuclear India?
Open borders to our country allowing terrorists free access?
Our liberties eroding on a near daily basis?
Continued threats against Israel by its 'peaceful Islamic' neighbors?
The former USSR and Ukraine?
African genocide?
Christians being beheaded by peaceful Moslems?

I'm sure we can all add to this list of global threats that there is no arguing about.

Not that we can do much if anything about these either, which brings up my final point.

I'm off this planet in 30 years. Good luck to future generations.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Mountain Doctor may have also wanted to remind the common folk that in the 70's Time Magazine had 3 cover stories on the impending ice age. I remember reading about the ice age in my "Weekly Reader" when I was in elementary school. It scared the hell out of me then.:shock:

Now I'm just happy if they can accurately predict tomorrows weather. :roll:
Tom K.

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

speaking of al, what has locked box uncle Al Gore been up to? now that man gets an A++ for snake oil salesman.....

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

I am sure some of you have read the following email that did the rounds?

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."
Source - http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

And this excerpt from - http://www.truthorfiction.com/gore-bush-houses/
"...Using figures from the Nashville Electric service, the report says that Gore’s house used 221,000 221,000 kWh of electricity in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kWh. The report says the gas usage of Gore’s home is high as well and that Gore spent more than $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills in 2006."

And I wonder my scepticism. :roll:

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The advert I remember from the 70's is an animated globe of our planet. The population grows out of control until people start getting pushed off into the ocean...

There are few social, political, or environmental problems on this bus ride that would not improve or just flat disappear if there were fewer of us.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

crbnunit wrote:...
There are few social, political, or environmental problems on this bus ride that would not improve or just flat disappear if there were fewer of us.
I want to be the Chairman of that committee. After the lawyers, the politicians should be next as they are accessory to a world gone crazy.

I reckon if we halved the world's population today we wouldn't be even half way to solving the problem.

DonLindsay

global cooling

Post by DonLindsay »

You know, I'm not posting because I have something to sell. I'm posting because there are things I'm not going to put up with.

Mountain Doctor, you said:

>> Recall it was not long ago that those who cried the sky is falling were talking about global COOLING and we were headed to the ice age.

And Tomkatz said:

>> Mountain Doctor may have also wanted to remind the common folk that in the 70's Time Magazine had 3 cover stories on the impending ice age. I remember reading about the ice age in my "Weekly Reader" when I was in elementary school. It scared the hell out of me then.

I'm gonna say this three times.

First, THAT ISN'T TRUE. WE SAID NO SUCH THING. AND EVERY SCIENTIST KNOWS IT. IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF INFORMED ENOUGH TO COMMENT ON GLOBAL WARMING, HOW COME YOU DON'T KNOW IT.

Second, the slightly longer version. Time and Newsweek made it up. Oh, yes, they probably quoted some scientist somewhere. But (as I've already pointed out) there are LOTS of scientists. This was journalism at its finest, about on a par with Loch Ness Monster stories.

Third, the documentation. You can start with http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/sci ... ling_N.htm or http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... ling-myth/. Actually, the scientific community does have authoritative organisations, and they published what-we-know summaries back in the 70's, and not one of those summaries said that cooling was coming. Plus, research scientists publish in peer-reviewed journals, and those are filed away in university libraries. I've done my share of delving into the back stacks. Those journals are all still there, and anyone who wants to, can go read for themselves. If you do, you will find the 1970's had a LOT more articles about global warming than about global cooling.

Gaaah.

Climatologists "not knowing what they're talking about", RIGHT.

Maybe tomorrow I'll write something about "no global warming in the past 18 years". When I cool off.

TomD
100+ Posts

Move it

Post by TomD »

I think Rezrider has it right.

Move this to hot air or political/religion thread since, like religion one is going to believe what one believes and hang on to whatever supports that view and discard that which does not.

Galileo was excommunicated for saying the earth was not the center of the universe when he had clear evidence to prove it was true, but many felt challenged by that view and refused to accept it.

The guy who first proposed that massive floods scoured the Eastern Washington plateau was ridiculed and almost driven out of the geological society for his heresy. Same with the woman who first postulated continental drift.

End of the day, believe what you are going to believe but argue it in a hot air thread and lets get back to flying.

I do note that scientists who feel climate change is real, fly Maules just as those who don't believe it. So lets just go flyin'

TD

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

+1

22Tango

Post by 22Tango »

Hi, have been away...

As others said, the ozone hole is getting less intense (not really a hole, but a thinning). I didn't understand the point about someone fixing it.

I know there is loads of junk on you-tube, but this one offers one insight to the confusion...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUk0tm47yr8

even with the weather tending towards extremes that will affect flying, I too come to the forum to read about Maules... :wink:

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I agree this thread could have been moved, but we are civil and low key I don't think it's been a problem here. :D

Also, I have no horse in this race. Like I say I don't care one way or the other, I'm not going to be here.

There are much more important world threatening issues of more immediate concern, a few of which I mentioned in my previous posts. It is more likely than not the world will soon look back at a time when anxiety about climate change was the 'good old days' compared to the actual problems at present.

With that thought, I sign off this thread. I appreciated the civil and intelligent exchange of ideas :idea: . I respect both sides of the issue, and recognize neither side will change it's viewpoint, nor does it matter. This won't be settled by consensus, nor do I think it matters if it could be.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

Amen mountain doctor. And on the 8th day God said, let the debate begin!
This will be my last post on this thread also. Just a closing note, no one was forced to read or respond, and there are plenty of other threads to read/respond and enjoy. Its like TV change the damn channel! :idea:

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Who is upset about this in the forum? If it were in another part of the forum, what difference would it make? As far as I know, no one has a gun to their heads forcing them to log in to this discussion or to post. We are all just folks here discussing a hot button topic of the times. It has been civil and representatives of both sides have had a chance to have their say without being attacked. All is well. We will fly on and if we meet at some point, we will meet as friends and fellow aviators.

I go back to my original statement on the subject. We know what we are doing to our environment is harmful. Let's start cleaning it up. I don't think we have to kill ourselves doing it but we need to be making steps in that direction. Do what you can and call it good.

I'm going to go flying now and burn some of that nasty leaded aviation fuel!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

THE END!!