Weather and global warming

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Weather and global warming

Post by chris erasmus »

I don't quite buy into the whole global warming thing, but I have noticed some strange phenomena in South Africa lately.

We are approaching the middle of April and we are still having rain and thunderstorms, we are fast approaching our fall and we should be experiencing perfect flying weather.
It is now the second consecutive weekend that I am grounded due to weather.

What are the weather patterns doing in the rest of the world?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

PM sent. What I had to say was too politically incorrect for posting. :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

This comes up frequently when I take visitors out for the "standard" sightseeing trip to the glaciers in my backyard. I get asked frequently how much recession I've seen in our local glaciers. The truth is, one is growing leaps and bounds and the one next to it isn't doing much. A little further up the valley and one has indeed shrunk. I'll follow up the tour (Exclusively for the "Warmers") with a quick jump in the truck and go up to the old coal mines a short drive from here. There are millions of fossils consisting of reeds & succulents and varied grasses. All temperate and semi-tropical plants. There's even a 12' fossilized Palm tree that is in an exposed vertical cut.
After showing them these finds, We usually discuss the type of habitat they thrived in. One by one, they get to thinking. (Eliminating the emotional quotient) These plants happened long before man arrived and began burning their demon petroleum products.
Things change, we just don't like it. People need to think for themselves and quit drinking Al Gore's koolaid.
Live it like its your last day.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I don't buy into the man made global warming hysteria. I do believe global warming is occurring, just not man made.
I am concerned about harmful emissions on a global scale, but can't figure out any reason or logic to support the new cottage industry of carbon credits. And government has no place levying fines or taxes based on unproven science.
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Wyflyer wrote:I don't buy into the man made global warming hysteria. I do believe global warming is occurring, just not man made.
I am concerned about harmful emissions on a global scale, but can't figure out any reason or logic to support the new cottage industry of carbon credits. And government has no place levying fines or taxes based on unproven science.
Neither do I. Barrak Obama (sorry, Barry Soetoro) comes to Australia last year and starts telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing about global warming...makes my blood boil. Talk about politically incorrect!!!
The global warming thing started with a falsified study stating the Himalayas were melting by a since disgraced Indian firm reliant on international grants.

I am concerned by pollution, by plastics killing our oceans, by consumerism. Studies of glaciers show higher levels of carbon existed in the 15h century atmosphere than exists now. The 15th century was pre-industrial revolution.
I think the carbon and global warming beat up is so much s*&t. Global warming is a profitable industry for some.

Chris, winter usually comes on in Sydney by the Queens Birthday weekend (2nd Monday in JUne). Well it is pretty cold right now and has been past 2 weeks. Yeah sure, not cold by US standards, but cold for us.

edit: when I studied science, carbon was food for plants.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

truthinbeer wrote:
Wyflyer wrote:I don't buy into the man made global warming hysteria. I do believe global warming is occurring, just not man made.
Neither do I. Barrak Obama (sorry, Barry Soetoro) comes to Australia last year and starts telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing about global warming...makes my blood boil. Talk about politically incorrect!!!
The global warming thing started with a falsified study stating the Himalayas were melting by a since disgraced Indian firm reliant on international grants.

I am concerned by pollution, by plastics killing our oceans, by consumerism. Studies of glaciers show higher levels of carbon existed in the 15h century atmosphere than exists now. The 15th century was pre-industrial revolution.
I think the carbon and global warming beat up is so much s*&t. Global warming is a profitable industry for some.

Chris, winter usually comes on in Sydney by the Queens Birthday weekend (2nd Monday in JUne). Well it is pretty cold right now and has been past 2 weeks. Yeah sure, not cold by US standards, but cold for us.

edit: when I studied science, carbon was food for plants.
I hear you, I suspect as earlier stated that it is a natural phenomena, and some clever politicians are making a lot of money out of it.
It is pretty cold in Johannesburg as well. Worst thing about the cold is the girls covering up, no more bikinis, no more mini skirts........ :D

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

chris erasmus wrote:...
It is pretty cold in Johannesburg as well. Worst thing about the cold is the girls covering up, no more bikinis, no more mini skirts........ :D
Mate, you gotta look at the silver lining. I;ve seen your vids. When it gets cold girls like our "upholstery".

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

haha you are spot on there brother

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

My message:

Weather has been in a constant state of flux for long before we humans got here. I will remain in flux long after we are gone. There are countless variables interacting in geometrically countless ways. Sometimes it does suck.

We in Washington essentially missed winter last year. Suits me fine. Eastern USA has a rotten winter. California is in a drought. I'm sure most (all?) continents are affected.

With that said in no way do I buy into the so called global warming culture, nor do I think we petty humans are to blame, any more than I think castrating industrialized nations will cure the so called problem.

Sorry you missed out on some flying however. Believe me Doc can relate.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Haha thanks Doc, the weather has cleared up., but now there is not a drop of avgas available in the country. It is hoped to have again by 20 April.
Thank goodness for the lycoming O540 B4B5 engine. It can run on anything

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Be careful of emu oil in concentrations greater than 50%. Zebra oil can be run up to 60% in Lycomings with no problems. :P

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

I am trying cooking oil at the moment :o

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

just follow the research money that funds most of these programs dealing with warming issues and after that trip follow all the fixes to correct said problem and you will get a good picture. If you do a bit of research on how they determined global temp rises you may get sick at you stomach. I think i heard they are now throwing Asthma into the mix!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have a friend who is an astronomer. He studies origins of the universe ,planets, stars etc. The guy is a certified genius from what he tells me there are cycles in the average temperature range that's been going on for the last 4 billion years. At this point we don't have enough data to tell what is happening now we only have maybe 100 years of info. He goes on to say the sun is the big driver here and what man may add is not that great. Evan says the thing to worry about is some rock hurtling space and hitting the earth and wiping out life as we know it. Just look at the moon it is covered in craters. Now at this point Evan has a few girls convinced this may be there last night on earth and he offers them some comfort and another drink. He then offers to show them the pictures he took with the Hubble (which he did). Anyway the girls seem much relived the next day that they survived for one more night. So I have to say I don't believe in global warming. 8)
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Chicks dig brainiacs. 8)

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843