The Shooting Thread

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

When in SA I shot a 375HH. Thought it was the long cramped flight home that required the back cracker to straighten out my spine....later I realized it was the gun! I shoot a 7mm mag, and hated the noise and kick until getting a suppressor. Now I love that flat shooting, long reach gun.
If you are thinking about suppressors, think of filing for a gun trust that allows the whole family to enjoy the suppressor or other restricted arms purchased by the trust. Also, maybe by now, it will shorten the time required to get your stuff. It took us 10 months to get ours. Our next could be as little as 3 months with the trust.
Let Freedom Prevail

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

We are fortunate that supressors are not regulated here, I have discovered that the 375 has some medicinal value as a cold and flue remedy. By the third shot it has kicked the snot out of your head lol

BillB

My family

Post by BillB »

I have one of these on my pickup. Would look great on a Maule.
http://myloudfamily.com/

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I finally sold my Nikon 3-9 BDC scope and bought a Nikon 6-24x50 NikoPlex reticle scope for my .338 Win Mag Browning X-Bolt Stainless Steel Stalker. We sighted in the scope yesterday using optical and laser bore sighters. I have yet to fire it and finish sighting in the new scope at 200 yards but it's a monster. I switched from the BDC to the NP reticle because the BDC is only accurate for a certain weight slug with a specific muzzle velocity, which is different from the round that I use.

Andy
1986 MX7-180

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I've been looking at that very scope for my .300 Sendero. I have a 3.5-10 loopy on it which is really great, but i have never shot anything closer than 200yds and often think I would like more power......

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Hey Andy if you need some room to reach out and touch some thing I can set up a couple of hundred yards pretty easy. Stop by bring your friend from work and I'm sure Sam would get a kick out of your set up. It would give him a reason to do a little longer range with his 300 blackout.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

That's a great suggestion, Kirk. I'll check with my friend from work on Tuesday and see if he can fly over to your farm with me sometime next week. I'll call you first to make sure you're home.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

After Wednesday I should be home thru the end of the month. Unless my wife has her way with me and we make a run to Florida. Got a little vacation time ;-)
Kirk Johnson

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

I shot a shotgun for the first time on Saturday. I had gone fly fishing on a local farmers dam and then got invited to join him and some guys on a "club day shoot" of sorts. It was all clay pigeon shooting from various "traps" on his farm. I got paired up with a youngish chap who is also new to shooting and our mentor for the day was a Springbok (National colours) shooter. Ws VERY informative for me, bit nerve wracking to start off with but enjoyed the challenge of trying to get those dam clay pigeons. In all, I shot off about 170 shells and even got my Mrs and Daughter to fire off a few. Mrs loved it - I had better watch out...
1983 M6-235C

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Jayson I see the indoctrination is complete. I guess you where warned early on flying Maule's will change your world. :lol:
Kirk Johnson

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Ha Ha Ha Ha Kirk, you are probably not far wrong. I didn't think buying a Maule would change it that much though.

All in all a good weekend. Saturday was fishing and shooting. Sunday a relaxed picnic with the family next to a lovely little farm dam and Monday some stalls and circuits on our gorgeous local grass strip in the Maule.

Not a shabby few days.
1983 M6-235C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I love hearing about people getting introduced to shooting. Warning; it's addicting 8)
Premonitions come true, I have a new horse in the stable! A BRNO in 375 H&H with a Leopold vxII my only disappointment is that it did not have the express sights. Beautifully figured walnut though.
Have to finish the project by springtime for a little hunting!
Live it like its your last day.