The Shooting Thread

In response to a few member who like to post and read sometimes on the Maule forum something unrelated to Maules and flying, you may use this section. Plz keep it still non-offensive and clean and adhere to the agreement you accepted by becoming a member.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

The Shooting Thread

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

This time of year for me is ordinarily Reloading Season. Not much else to do when you get 4-5 hours of light. This year I have other preoccupations namely the overhaul. However, while I'm in a quandary waiting for parts, etc., I default to reloading. Not wanting to highjack the other thread any worse than it was, I thought I'd throw this out to see if it would stick. I was enjoying following the tales of the others on here.
I enjoy shooting but primarily, my reloading is for Mrs. YM. She's a teacher and as the schools are typically the bastion of liberalism. (I have no intention of being politically correct, we're all big kids) Many of her coworkers have little or no experience with firearms. My bride attends a local indoor range one evening of the week (Appropriately, Ladies Night, no men allowed on the firing line. Period.) and invites several of her coworkers. Mrs. YM approaches it with the zeal of a Tent Revival Preacher looking for that next conversion. Her goal of course is that her idea of a full conversion is that the Lady will begin to carry. To date, she has three converts. I'm very proud of her as you can imagine. She takes a great deal of enjoyment from introducing these ladies to firearms. If nothing else, it debunks many of the fears of the unknown and introduces the concept of shooting as a sport contrary to the nightly news.
Typically, she'll go through 150-200 rounds a week. From .22's - .44's We only have one female Range Officer in our State. I have encouraged her several times to pursue getting her certification but life keeps getting in the way.
So, while I'm waiting, I continue with our seasonal interests. I grew up competing in a junior small bore team and qualified for State several times. Never took it beyond that, just recreational shooting. Young Squire just purchased his first handgun, a 1911. Did his own research and selection. After a day at the range, I'm curious as to how he's managed to hide his ability to be an amazing shot. His sister, My Princess, is almost as good a shot and also shoots a .45. People look her funny at first being about 5' and $105 but nobody teases her after the first mag. Yes, she carries. She decided long ago that she was not going to be a victim. Pretty and potent, that's our Honey Badger.
I'm content to sit back and watch. Our Sunday evenings are filled with the smell of Hoppe's #9 after dinner following an afternoon at the range.
Flying and firearms seem to go together as naturally as Horseradish and steak. :D
Live it like its your last day.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Great post YM. And yes, I would continue to encourage Mrs. YM to get her certification. I also enjoy the shooting sports, especially if there is a whitetail in the scope. I have a variety of things to play with, but for just shear joy, the .17 is just a ball to shoot. My daily carry is my LCP but will also strap on one of my .45's when the situation dictates.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I used to shoot IPSC and USPSA, we probably invented 3-gun matches too. I was shooting about 300-400 rds a day to compete at my level. I started out with a wheelgun but reload times moved me to a comped 1911 .45. I shot a comped .38 super for a while but went back to .45 eventually. I spent many hours reloading, finally getting a lee progressive which I put thousands of rounds through. I sold all my good stuff in my divorce but kept a few things. I build ar's as a hobby and love to shoot distance with my .300 mag - see pic :)
Image[/img]
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

About that fairer sex when I married my bride I though I had better teach her how to handle some of my firearms. After a bit of training on fire arm safety went out back to my little range.. I gave her one of my 22's but she insisted on my 1911 I told her to watch the recoil. Well I'm glad she's not a pool shark she would have taken all my money. At ten yards she put the first mag in to the ten circle. Needless to say the lesson was over, that's when she told me her father had been local guard marksmen champ. She had grown up shooting air guns in their basement in the winter and small bore at the range in the summers.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, my better half did her CCW a couple years ago, and she can out shoot me, which wasn't supposed to happen. Then she started bugging me to shoot some of the various caliber AR's I've done over the years, .338, .308, .260, and of course 5.56... Then she caught me attempting to trade off an Israeli Arms .50 and raised holy dickens with me account she really liked that gun even though she can't pick it up one handed... Go Figure!!! Good sporting hobby and much fun, I've been mostly reloading to close tolerances and trying to improve the 1000 yd skills.... especially in AZ where we're within 1 mi of a huge range...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

I think guns should be illegal!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

:P lmao
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I'm ok with the guns I have. Just not sure that I care about the wife having an interest.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Mrs. Pilot carries a ruger LCR .357 mag, she only shoots it with .38's though. She would rather shoot a .22 but with the ammo shortage I can reload .38's cheaper! It has a laser on it but I don't encourage the use of them - mostly for show.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Right up front, if THE MAN is listening, I sold all of my firearms at the last gunshow. It was held in a high school, I might add... I'm kind of a mutant in Alaska. I don't hunt or fish. I like the process of fishing but don't actually like fish very much. Hunting? Been there, done that. I love the process but hunt with a camera now days. Still love to shoot and really enjoy making extremely accurate, consistant, hand crafted ammo for long range shooting.

I have taught several women to shoot. Most of them have ended up being better shots than I am. The wife is fighting with the right handed/left eye dominant issue. Nothing she can't overcome with practice. I need to get her together with your wife Kurt! I've been encouraging her to get her CCW and she is interested but she likes company.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Mrs Mikew got a glock 19 for Christmas. She grew up shooting and has a nice 357 revolver she's shot for years but decided it was time for one of those new polymer wonders. I have renewed my affair with cowboy guns and am enjoying a new to me 1866 yellow boy from Uberti.

In the process now of setting up a new Dillion 550 press. Gonna start with 45 colt and 44.s for now.

Both my older boys have 22s but my oldest got a Mosin Nagant that he's been having fun with. It's a 1937 vintage and he likes the history part of it as well.

Hope everyone is having a good winter...

Mikew

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Ah, yeah The Man...
I lost all my guns on a camping trip when my canoe overturned... :oops: :shock:
Live it like its your last day.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Uh, Yes I know feeling, mine all fell out of airplane into the swamp... When flying without doors, gets awful breezy in the back!! :oops: :cry:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Sounds like none of those would be traceable.
Let Freedom Prevail

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

my dog ate mine bad dog
Last edited by captnkirk on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Johnson