Appropriate Autopilot for M7-235C

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
TK Nashville

Appropriate Autopilot for M7-235C

Post by TK Nashville »

I am a new Maule owner... closed on an M7-235C on 10/31 and am trying to learn how to land it well. Seems more difficult than the Decathlon that I did 25 hours in about 15 years ago... I suppose its the high lift wing..

Having sold out of my twin comanche on the same day, I am transitioning to a new panel. In a number of ways the Maule panel is nicer, with a KX-155, GNC-250, Garmin xpdr and Garmin audio panel. I kept my 396, so that's familiar. What I am missing is the S-TEC 55.

I will do some IFR flights in this AC and am thinking that the S-TEC 30 might be a good fit. Does anyone out there in Maule-land have opinions as to which autopilot would be a good match, if any?

Thanks..

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I do a lot of IFR in mine with no autopilot, but if you want an Autopilot, I've had good luck with the stec's in other aircraft.
I believe Maule's are unusual in that the autopilot is coupled to the rudder instead of the aileron. Doesn't sound right, and I have no idea if they are all like that or just some of them, sorry
Oh, and the best way to land one in the beginning is to carry power all the way to touchdown, like 1500 RPM. They bleed energy faster than most, hence carrying a little power makes it land like other airplanes. Of course you will get many opinions, and all of them will be correct, just you will have to experiment and find what works for you.

TK Nashville

Post by TK Nashville »

I was practicing crosswind landings today and was surprised at how quickly I run out of ailerons in a slip... full aileron doesn't require as much rudder as I would have thought. Looking at them, they seem short, as though they are shortened to enable more flap...

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

Hello TK,

Welcome to the world of Maules. I'm a tailwheel instructor here in the Nashville area (I live in Bellevue and mostly fly out of Lebanon). My specialty is mostly Globe Swifts and Maules. I'm not trying to plug my services here since I haven't had a lot of free time lately, but I just wanted to say "welcome" and extend a hand out to a new local Mauler. I've taught several people tailwheel in Maules (high and low time), towed gliders in college with an M5-235C, and recently some banner-towing in a M5-235C. Where are you based?

Sam Swift
N3760K
N8299K

TK Nashville

Post by TK Nashville »

Hello... I'm based at Tune, in one of the newer T Hangars... Flying with Gary Wood as an instructor at present. He and I started Airtech back in 1991 when Omni Aviation went out of business (Tom McCarthney's old flight school)...

I want to get over to Lebanon again soon. I used to have a C-182 that Mike Priest did a couple of annuals on... I miss that guy.

flyboycpa

Post by flyboycpa »

TK Nashville wrote:Hello... I'm based at Tune, in one of the newer T Hangars... Flying with Gary Wood as an instructor at present. He and I started Airtech back in 1991 when Omni Aviation went out of business (Tom McCarthney's old flight school)...

I want to get over to Lebanon again soon. I used to have a C-182 that Mike Priest did a couple of annuals on... I miss that guy.
Small world...for a while I was on Airtech's insurance as an instructor (I normally flew out of SkyHi...Hangar 2). Gary Wood might remember my name (it's been since 1996) but maybe not.

I'll send you a PM so as not to hijack this thread further.

Sam Swift

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

One of the biggest reasons (in my opinion) to land in a crosswind with either 0 flap or no more than 10 is to keep from getting slow enough that the ailerons lose effectiveness. My early model M-6 has even smaller ailerons and rudder than your M-7.

albury

Post by albury »

Regarding your question about selection of autopilot -- I am by no means an expert but also a new M7-235C owner, and in my research so far it seems an STEC 30 is the right choice. I am concerned with panel space as well -- so my drivers are GPSS, fit with aircraft, and the fact that the STEC 30 replaces the TC, no new holes.

Let me know where you end up with this, I'm interested --

TK Nashville

Post by TK Nashville »

Around 5-6 years ago, I put an STEC 20 into a C-182 and you are right, no new holes is a good thing. I suppose the STEC 30 has to have an altitude hold button somewhere, but that ought to be unobtrusive.

The twin comanche that I just sold had an STEC 50 or 55 (cant recall which) and it occupied a whole 3.5" hole...

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The Stec 30's buttons can be remote mounted. On my C-210 they are on the yoke, seems to be a good place for them.

ChuckAldrian

Post by ChuckAldrian »

I have a MT7-260 with an S-Tec 30 which was factory installed by Maule. It's a great autopilot and I recommend it or if you have the cash a S-Tec 55. They are all rate based an are connected to the rudder which simplifies things and is the reason Mooney's and other OEM are installing them. One important thing though is make sure you get "GPS Steering" included so that it follows your Garmin 250. It's an extra $1000, but is worth the $$.

Happy Flying

DonMc

Autopilot

Post by DonMc »

I have an M7260 with the STEC 50. It holds heading and altitude and is simple to operate. I also have the Gpss roll stearing driven by the 480 Garmin. I think the Stec 55 that Chuck mentioned will follow a glide path on an ILS or the new WAAS approaches if the GPS is WAAS capable. If you fly the Maule around 90 with a notch of flaps you can get a decent rate that will match the ILS or LPV approach with your power setting. The STEC 50 does require a hole cut in the panel for mounting. Once you record your approach speed/configuration/power setting you just dial it in when you join the LOC and sit back and enjoy the ride.

DonMc
260 BD

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Has anyone looked at the newer Autopilots or does anyone know if Maule is working with Garmin or Trio Pro Pilot or TruTrak or Dynon to get an STC?

I like the S-Tec equipment but it is very $$$.
1999 M7-235C

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Make sure you add your name and type to Trutraks pending AML so we can accelerate the addition to the list. Since Maule only has 2500 aircraft in the fleet it is a hard sell competing against Cessna's, Piper's, Beech's, etc. to get added to the trouble it takes to get approved. For 1/3 of the price every one else wants for an autopilot I think they are great deal and full of features.
M5

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Where do we do that, Dave?

I had planned to see them at SNF next week and ask where we fell in the order of things.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235