back seat

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
cj8vet

back seat

Post by cj8vet »

I have recently test flown 2 mxt-180's-neither owner could tell me how the backseat folds/or comes out. I know ya'll can tell me.-
How do ya'll fit rifles/skis etc in there?
2ndly I rode in the back seat today--a little short for a 6'2" guy but my kids should fit fine.
thanks mark
aka cj8vet
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

In the M7 and MT7, the #5 seat base is lifted out of it's socket then pulled towards the door opening, then just lift out the backrest.
The #3 & 4 seat, you lift up the bottom cushion and remove, then drop the seat belts through the hole in the sling portion. The lower forward bar has a button to press in so the bar can be slid into its socket on the left side of plane so it comes out of the socket on the right side, then remove it through the cloth and out the door, sometimes with a half revolution or so. The top back tube is removed by pulling the two press-pins or in older craft, the two bolts, then rotated clockwise and pulled out of it's socket on the left wall.
All this actually takes a quarter the time it takes to read this.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Skis can be put under the rear seat from the back and protruded under the front seats but be careful of the fuel lines beneath the pilot seat. You can just raise the seat base from the back.
Earlier aircraft have a 4" more forward position of the #3&4 seat than later units, and the later M7/MT7 fuselage has two seat positions.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Jeremy, thanks for all your responses on this forum. I just got around to looking at my backseat last night.exactly as you described. I have the 2 bolts up top--can they be replaced with the push pins?
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a plate available from Maule that fastens where the bolts are now and the pushpins go through it. You will also need a new shorter eared cross tube or you could modify the one you have.
OR you could weld a washer or small piece of metal onto the bolts and use them as thumbscrews, or you could cut a slot in the bolt heads and use your fuel check/screwdriver to turn the bolts.
4 ways to skin a cat.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide