Door size

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Stinger
100+ Posts

Door size

Post by Stinger »

Would a standard size clothes dryer fit in the back doors of an MX7? Not the oversized things that are around now, but a normal size one.

yanknbank

Re: Door size

Post by yanknbank »

Please someone have a picture of this. I'll make it into a poster for my hangar.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

This is the reason I love this forum and the Maule!

No other flying forum is asking about stuffing dryers in the back seat. :D :D :D
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Willardj

Post by Willardj »

Normal Dryers are about 28" wide by 28" deep. Am not sure how tall the old dryers are. I think it will fit in the cabin. The cabin tapers as you go back from the front seats.
Am Not close to my M5 right now so not sure how far back the 28" would fit. My need to take CoPilot seat out to put the control back panel in that right side.
May be a close fit. Take the dryer and a good tape measure to the hanger and give it a close look.

Could always take the rear doors off and let some of it hang out....... That is a joke!!!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think this is a Maule joke, but when we moved from Virginia to North Carolina, I took the rear sling seat out of my MX-7-180 and filled the cargo area to the ceiling. It's amazing how much stuff you can put in a Maule. However, I don't think a dryer would have fit because of the lower ceiling in back. An LG DLEX4000B electric dryer is 27"W x 39"H x 30 1/8"D. According to the Maule MX-7-180B product brochure, the cargo area is 28.5" high at the widest point in the fuselage. Immediately behind the front seats the floor to headliner height is 42" but it tapers down quickly to 28.5". :D
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

One method I used for checking to see if something would fit was to cut/fold a large cardboard box to the dimensions I needed. 28”x28”x? Sounds like it might fit. Don’t have access to my M5 right now, but I remember large items had to go through the door way aft for door height, then forward for ceiling height and floor width.

It really is amazing how much will fit back there. Wish we had more tiedown rings to secure a bulky load. When I retired I moved everything except the bed out of a small apartment in 4 flights! Used to have a pic of another moving adventure including a large cedar chest. The load from the Maule exactly filled the 6’ bed of my Nissan Frontier up to the rails; a lot of bulk, the whole load only weighed 250 lbs.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Definately do the cardboard box trick. Was in the air charter business for a good many years. We always had cardboard around the hangar for the request we were not quite sure about. Amazing the difference between perception and reality sometimes.

My rear sling seat has been out for a couple years now. Haul all kind of stuff between our house in NC and the daughters in PA.