Fly a Maule South From Alaska! (25 hours dual offered)

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
asa
100+ Posts

Fly a Maule South From Alaska! (25 hours dual offered)

Post by asa »

I'm posting to see if there is anyone interested in getting some dual instruction flying my Maule M6-235 back from Alaska with me? Oct 10-15ish timeframe.

I know what you're thinking "Dude you're just trying to get paid to move your airplane!" That's exactly right. Maule needs to go south and I don't want to foot the bill and someone else might. If I don’t have interest, I will probably leave it here in Alaska over the winter.

I'm a 4000 hr CFI, fly professionally in Alaska, built this plane. If you've ever wanted a Maule, this would satisfy insurance in the future. Can keep her on bushwheels if you're into that or run 850's. Prefer someone proficient at tailwheel. Could start in Anchorage, Ketchikan, or Whitehorse, could finish basically wherever you wanted as far as Kentucky. I'd estimate 25 hours logged total, from 20-30 depending on how you wanted to do it. We can discuss the cost but I'd estimate $2000-4000 depending on many factors. Happy to discuss price with interested parties to make it work for both of us. This is all loggable PIC dual time in a maule!

Examples of things you might learn:
- How to fly a maule (spoiler: it's just an airplane)
- How to transit Canada, clear customs, etc
- Long mountainous XC considerations
- Why to buy a maule
- Why not to buy a maule (imagine the money I'm saving you)

You can email me if interested: asa dot darnell at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Asa

Pmoran

Re: Fly a Maule South From Alaska! (25 hours dual offered)

Post by Pmoran »

I’m curious if you made the flight with anyone. I would have liked to do this, however I was unavailable at the time. If the opportunity comes up in the future I’d be interested.
Thanks,
Pat Moran

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I did! With my girlfriend who is also a pilot. Initially it wasn’t going to work out for her to join but things changed. I had another M6 owner from AK lined up as well who was going to join if she couldn’t. Was an amazing trip south via the trench with overnights in Whitehorse, Prince George, and northern washington. Ran into some wx every day at one place or another but also had plenty of blue skies. Never posted any pics so here are some…

Saying goodbye to Denali after a wonderful season flying. The day we left was crystal clear in TKA with the 20,000’ summit towering above.

Snacks

More snacks

Crossing into Canada

The trench!

Back into the US

Camped at a random grass strip in Washington. We cleared customs about an hour before sunset and found this little gem on the RAF website.

Idaho

Pulling into SLC at night

Utah fun

Trip overview. I ended up continuing to Kentucky after this in a day.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Hi Asa,

Your trip sounds like fun!

Curious to know, how did the Ortex hold up? Any issues?

Also, would you go with the JPI again, or bigger version, or? And are you good with the center rack location?

What mount did you use for the IPad?

Great Pics!

Tom

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Old Piper wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:10 pm
Hi Asa,

Your trip sounds like fun!

Curious to know, how did the Ortex hold up? Any issues?

Also, would you go with the JPI again, or bigger version, or? And are you good with the center rack location?

What mount did you use for the IPad?

Great Pics!

Tom
Thanks! Was a wonderful trip - we still like each other.

Oratex is awesome, super happy with it. After a year an 190 hours beating it up, it looks the same as the day I glued it on. Just did the annual last week and no issues with oratex at all.

Same for JPI EDM900, love it, love the location, would do exactly the same way again. The bigger 930 is cool but much more expensive with no additional capability, only a larger screen. The EDM900 capability is the same as the EI MVP50 which is again much more expensive. I fly EI instruments at work and would take the JPI any day. The EI MVP and CGR have significantly longer boot up time, less resilient wiring connectors, and worse readability in my opinion.

iPad mount is just a RAM ball bolted to the panel, a little arm, and a RAM iPad mini mount. I like it because you can pull it off in half a second and the panel is clean, can run or portrait or landscape mode, and tilt it at will. For short flights I normally don’t have it up there, only on longer xc’s. The aera660 in front of pilot yoke is the star of the show in terms of navigation.

Only thing im not happy with is the AV30. I never use it. It’s for sale if anyone wants one.. $1500

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

I’m glad to hear your responses, especially on the JPI 900. As you may recall, that’s where I mounted mine on the M5-210C 5-yrs.ago, and yes, was the best upgrade I installed. The 930 was too big and too expensive.

I’ve got a new project to start this spring, and wanted concurrence on that before the purchase. With your added comments on the others, I see a purchase at SnF for that and USB outlets.

Now pls. share the dislikes on the AP? The M7-235C has one, but if not suitable, I can use the diet. The plan is to install a ski box in rear fuslage, move bat. Under FP seat, and go with lighter bat. (1/2 wt.).