Bug Smashing

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
DavZeeMXT

Bug Smashing

Post by DavZeeMXT »

It’s that time of year when small planes are out smashing into smaller bugs and getting covered in goo.
What’s your best technique for removing their remains without stripping off too much paint?
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

onfinal

Re: Bug Smashing

Post by onfinal »

Now this is going to be a fascinating thread :D
Me and my M6-235.
End of a day's flying... fill the fuel tanks, put her in the hangar out of the sun.
Starting with the screen, then port and starboard wings, I spray screen, wing leading edges and struts, then leave for 10 minutes, so the bugs soften.
Spray with what... well I use a hand spray bottle with 4-6 squirts of a good quality bathroom hand wash soap in half liter water. My M6 prefers Coconut and Vanilla but you best ask yours for her preference. I don't use detergents or soaps with lanolin or moisturizers, they can leave oil halos on the screen.
Back at the screen, I respray it, then with a clean damp sponge, lightly wipe off offending bugs in a singular vertical motion.
I rinse the sponge a lot between wipes.
Move to port side, I respray wing and struts, then wipe off and rinse the sponge again. Repeat on Starboard side.
By now the front engine cowl has cooled. I spray the cowl and prop blades and keep them wet as I wipe.
Rinse sponge, stand back, admire and put a coffee on.
We have some medium sized bugs here but I want to know how the Alaskans manage. I've heard they have mosquitos the size of birds!
M6-235

mafitch

Post by mafitch »

A long, soaking rain and a clean cloth have always worked for me. The bugs are soft and easily removed.
I hit more bugs across the farm lands than I typically do in Alaska (just flew my new to me Maule from the east coast up).

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I’m in Alaska. Yes, we do have lots of bugs, and some are quite large.

For the windshield, I use a a smallish handheld pump-up spray bottle, the type typically used for spraying water/chemicals on plants. This bottle has only ever had water in it, from new. I wet the windshield liberally, and gently wipe the wetted surface with my hand to dislodge the bug parts. I do this right after landing, so as to remove them before they have a chance to really set up. If I’m going to fly again right away, I’ll then pledge it, and wipe it dry with a clean microfiber towel. If not, I’ll just let it sit and dry, and pledge it just before the next flight. If it gets dust or grit on it while sitting, I’ll use the pressurized water jet from the spray bottle to push the dust/grit off, GENTLY wiping the wet surface with my hand while continuing to spray (once it’s good and wet). Then pledge it. If I had access to a garden hose, I’d use that instead.

I don’t bother with removing bugs from the rest of the plane.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I also use a water filled spray bottle with cloth for leading edges and bare hand for windshield. Then I use Wash-Wax-All aircraft cleaner on those areas at least every other flight. It cleans well, leaves a smooth finish and seems to help make bug removal easier.

Used to clean the entire airplane twice a year with Wash-Wax-All. Now, I do it more often since A) I retired and B) I began using a long handled applicator to apply and buff off. Goes much faster that way as long as I don’t start obsessing over some particular spot.

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I wet all wing leading edges with water from a 5 gallon bucket and a microfiber cloth, which softens the bug splats. It's important to do this right after a flight to prevent the acids in the bug juice from marring the paint and leaving a stain as well as before they dry out completely. Then I use a wet microfiber cloth to wipe away the bugs. Afterward I use a clean microfiber cloth and Plexus on the windscreen and Wash-N-Wax on the wing and strut leading edges to reduce the adhesion of the next round of bugs. Mirror Glaze works very well for this but it's more work than Wash-N-Wax. Plexus works the best on my plexiglass since it removes any remaining bug splats, fills in the microscopic scratches and eliminates static electricity, which attracts dust.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I just start with the wash and wax on my wings. I have the"soft scrubbers" sold for wash and wax and they take the softened bugs off quickly without marring the paint in any way. .Then I buff the wax until it is dry with a microfiber cloth. I used to use Plexus for my windscreen and side window, but that stuff is now $27/can and that's just nuts. I switched to Zep foaming window cleaner for $4/can and it works well. The Zep doesn't have the wax to seal small scratches, so I follow up with Meguiar's plastic polish. That actually finishes of the windscreen better than Plexus did.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

fly through rain, it works wonders

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

I’ve been using a product called “BUG MELT” that works well and for the windshield I use “PRIST” cleaner.
I’m interested in hearing what others use on the leading edge after cleaning like a polish or coating because mine is getting dull
From all the cleaning.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

This is what I use: https://washwax.com/pages/aircraft-wate ... sh-wax-all

From what I’ve seen really any of the waterless washes work well. I like the way this one leaves a shiny coat. It is safe for plexiglass and really works better for plexiglass than anything I’ve used.

1 Spray bottle will give you a bit more than 2 very thorough stem to stern cleanings. I bought a gallon and it lasts me a couple years. Mud or greasy belly will still need a water wash and brush first. Greasy belly I use Formula 409, then soap and water, followed by Wash Wax All.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Pledge furniture polish and an old T shirt. Can even get the copy cat at the Dollar Stores in lemon or orange. Works well on leading edges too.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I use Carbon-X for those baked on bugs and then a good wax on LE of wing. I also use their (Sporties) Fleet wash on the plane and that seems to help. I had a guy that was telling me all about this new " NANO WAX" spray on stuff and how it just beads up the water and no spots etc, then I washed with the Fleet wash right next to him and had no spots and was done before he was with out the extra stuff he was doing .... I saw an order for Fleet wash show up in his hangar the next week...lol

Also the Carbon-X cleans the nasty belly in a couple of wipes

PCH

Post by PCH »

For the airframe, I use distilled water in a spray bottle and a cloth diaper. The distilled water is used because the water here is very hard. For the windscreen, I use Plexus and a cloth diaper.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

We need More Lemon Pledge

krmpilot42

Post by krmpilot42 »

I use Plane Perfect Products, Budda Belly, Wing Wipe and Eyes outside. After a few wipe downs the bugs and dirt wipe right off. These products build up a coat of carnuba wax layer that is really slick and a great polish. I am down to 15 minutes on the wings/leading edges and 30 minutes total. I wash down with water and aviation airplane soap every 6 months.
Commercial, Instrument, CFI