AK to Lower 48…Winter

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
JAM00

AK to Lower 48…Winter

Post by JAM00 »

Hi folks,
Looking for some advise on flying my newly acquired M7 from Alaska to the lower 48…. In winter… I have a couple weeks off of work to do this trip starting January 17th 2023.
Fingers crossed for a good weather window!
I know this trip is full of challenges like weather, short days, cold temperatures…I appreciate any and all input.
I’m Particularly interested in recommendations on best routes in winter, recommend overnight stops, fuel stops, overnight hangar contacts, and words of wisdom from those that have done this trip in winter.
My tentative and optimistic route is-
Fore flight - PAUO GKN PFTO CYXY CYYE CYQU KCTB KBFF KRPH
PFTO- Fuel
CYXY - Customs,Fuel,Overnight
CYYE- Fuel
CYQU- Fuel,Overnight
KCTB-Customs,fuel
KBFF- Fuel,Overnight
I have wing covers, engine heater, engine blanket and Basic winter survival gear, Garmin Inreach.

Thanks in advance-
“Fly it like you STOL it”
M7-235
Texas

asa
100+ Posts

Re: AK to Lower 48…Winter

Post by asa »

Ted Waltman has put together an incredible resource if you haven't seen it. He reaches out to pilots that have flown the routes recently and updates the website regularly. It's a major service to people in your position, and he does it out of his own kindness.

https://fly2ak.com/

If I were doing it in January I would be calling around looking for hangar space at your overnights.

JAM00

Post by JAM00 »

Nice website! This info will be extremely beneficial!
Thank you for the referral
M7-235
Texas

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

When stopping in Cut Bank (KCTB) we have hanger with electricity, sleeping rooms, courtesy car. If need be you can push it in my heated hangar.
Rick

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

My suggestion is that you call ahead to every place that you might stop, to confirm that the airport is open, and has fuel. Also check hours that fuel is available, if it isn’t self-serve. If you aren’t going to be using hangars, be sure you have a way to pre-heat. If you have electric heaters on your engine, ask if there is power available. I like to carry my own extension cord as well. Sometimes I even carry my own generator. And of course an engine blanket.

Don’t count on restaurants and hotels being open; many close in the winter, or even just close randomly for a few days or weeks as the proprietors take vacations in warm places. Call ahead on these also.

Don’t be in a hurry. Accept the weather you get, and be willing to hang out as long as it takes to get the weather you feel comfortable with. Just because someone else is flying, doesn’t mean you should. Pilots with local knowledge will often fly in much worse weather than is prudent for someone not intimately familiar with the local landscape.

Believe the clock and the sunset time. An hour before sunset, it can very bright, and therefore very easy to convince yourself that it will still be light when you arrive at your destination in an hour and a half. It won’t.

Burns Lake is a great resource. Fuel is the least expensive in the area. A few years ago, the locals built a huge, really nice building to hang out in. It even has two private guest rooms to rent (similar price as local hotel, last I checked; about $100). If those are not available, sleeping on the couches in the lounge doesn’t seem to upset anyone. Call ahead, as the guy who dispenses fuel and the courtesy car key (yes, they have a car) has to drive in from about 15 minutes away. If you let him know when you’re landing, he’ll usually meet you right then.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Based on the dates you mentioned, about the only route I would NOT recommend would be the coast route. This time of the year its almost a guarantee to be IFR for some lengthy stretches along the way.
That said, if you decide to take the coast route and want someone to help you interpret the local weather patterns feel free to give me a call. I fly Medevac at almost every paved airport between Anchorage and Seattle and keep a pretty good running tab on what the current conditions are doing. Once you get past the coast range my SA dissolves though so I'm pretty much just good for info along the coast. Take care and good luck!

James
907-617-9568

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

That's going to be an amazing trip.

All I can add is maybe consider more than a "basic" winter survival kit. Coastal Alaska and Canada in the winter can be downright deadly if you're forced into exposure to the elements.

This is a new plane. You don't know it's nuances, you don't know yet if the seller fibbed a bit on anything. You've got no operational data. Bring some serious cold and wet weather gear and a satellite locator.

Expect some ifr, and delays. I would not risk the icing this time of year.

Have a great time!

JAM00

Post by JAM00 »

Just an update- I ended up with a little bit of time off and looked at the WX forecast… with a brief weather window, I was able to get up to Alaska and fly her home! I really Appreciate all the information that you all sent my way! Armed with this I was able to make a successful flight.
Truly an epic adventure!

M7-235
Texas