Emergency fuel shut-off valve

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Wingman12

Emergency fuel shut-off valve

Post by Wingman12 »

My 1966 M4-210C has a fuel leak at the emergency fuel shut-off valve. It leaks externally down the spring-loaded cam-activated valve shaft, more so when the red knob on the instrument panel is pulled to the shut-off position. I think this was a limited-production model/year design, where the red knob on the instrument panel just left of the pilot yoke operates a push-pull cable that runs down to the valve installed between the fuel selector valve and the header tank. There is no "off" position on the fuel selector valve. Anybody else have problems with this? Is there a rebuild kit/rubber seals/washers for the lower valve component, or do I need to replace the entire brass body and valve assembly? It looks like a common brass casting (just like the fuel selector valve), with "Anderson Brass, Detroit" etched on the small steel cam lever. I've emailed Maule, hope the part is still available.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Re: Emergency fuel shut-off valve

Post by Old Piper »

Wingman12,

Pls. Call David Wright to help you out, he rebuilds them.
http://www.wrightaircrafttechnology.com/contact_us

It’s an old sloppy design, I wish we could remove both the valve and tank, but it was put in there to enable certification as a whim, so I was told. (Story goes the during certification check ride, they ran out of gas!. This was the solution.). All other Maule designs don’t require this set-up since. We need someone to warm up to FAA to allow it to be the same as the newer designs.

Good luck!
Tom

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Thanks Tom!
Dean

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yep, I got rebuild parts from Mr. Wright many years ago. Looking like I may need to do it again...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Thanks for the comment crbnunit . I posted my inquiry to Wright on his company web site. I noticed that there is very little content on his site and the copyright is 2007-2008. I have not had a reply from him yet. Are you sure he's still in business?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Wingman12 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:46 am
Thanks for the comment crbnunit . I posted my inquiry to Wright on his company web site. I noticed that there is very little content on his site and the copyright is 2007-2008. I have not had a reply from him yet. Are you sure he's still in business?
Sent you PM