New to Maule's. I have some questions about them.

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Pacer

New to Maule's. I have some questions about them.

Post by Pacer »

Hello group,

I am new to the Maule's and I am looking for some help and advice on the models and what mods are recommended. Growing up around our airport I always liked the looks of them as they "appeared" similar to my father's Pacer. Now my question is what models of Maule can the universal wing be mounted on? Can you purchase a new set of universal wings from Maule and if so what would they cost? Are there gross weight increase STC's for Maule's and if so, which model and what is the increase? I have read somewhere that the rudder/aileron interconnect removal makes the Maule fly better? Is this a true statement? Is there a certain model airframe that works best with a certain Maule wing for example a Maule M5 or M6 with a M7 wing or universal wing? Would it be recommended to purchase the extended oleo landing gear? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn about the Maule's as I think one might be a great purchase. I have seen enough rebuilt Cessna 180/185's that shock me and the thought of purchasing parts for them scares me. I have also looked into the Bearhawks and Bushmasters but I'd be afraid of buying someone else's headache if I didn't build my own from scratch and realistically I would be hiring an AME to help out on certain items. Our Pacer is an amateur built copy built from my father in the late 70's and I am currently rebuilding it so I know what's involved with building an aircraft. I would like to purchase a certified aircraft that I can fly now and not wait five years to finish off. I do prefer the Lycoming 540 modelled Maule's just through my experience with owning/flying Lycomings.

Thanks.

andy
Site Admin

Re: New to Maule's. I have some questions about them.

Post by andy »

My favorite is the M-7-235B with the IO-540-W1A5 fuel injected engine: https://mauleairinc.com/mx-7-series-2/. It has the universal wing. Here's the Maule Mod Index showing which models can accommodate the universal wings: https://fdb41ebf-dcb9-418b-8328-810edcf ... ee1cb2.pdf. I think they are going for around $28K according to this older post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62&p=316&hilit=univ ... +cost#p316. Except for the M9, which has a 2800 lb gross weight, most Maules are in the 2500 lb gross weight category. I don't think you can remove the rudder servo/aileron interconnect without a field approval. Maule designed it to improve spin resistance. Maules that were certified without it probably have more intuitive rudder input in banks since the servo tab sometimes must be counteracted with rudder pedals in a bank but I no longer notice it in my MX-7-180. I wouldn't search for a Maule without the servo tab since you probably won't find many. I prefer the oleo gear to the spring aluminum gear since it is lighter and more forgiving on rough terrain. Alaskan Bushwheels extended gear is great for getting a larger prop's tips higher off the ground. I have the standard ABI HD gear and I'm happy with it and 31" tundra tires. I'm partial to certified aircraft rather than kit-built. The kit builder's mistakes might not be evident on purchase and it's harder to find A&Ps who will work on a kit-built aircraft. I recommend: vortex generators, ABI HD main gear legs, dual puck brakes with flexible brake lines, the ABI 3224A tail wheel and leaf spring, elevator gap seals, dual tail struts, newer style door and window latches, newer style fuel selector and observer doors.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I agree the rudder servo tab is no big deal. My M5-235C has it and I hardly notice it’s effect.

A lot of other views and information is on the “New models and comparisons” section of the forum.

Kirk

Pacer

Post by Pacer »

Thanks for the replies so far. My Pacer build is coming along quite nicely. It's sort of like a mini Maule...The wings are new, they are lengthened approximately 2' with the ailerons out to the wingtips. The ailerons use the Pa-12/14 bellcrank for more deflection and the cabling is internal. The flaps are 90" and butt up to the fuselage when extended. Tail surfaces are Super Cub. TK-1 Shock monster landing gear with the cabane. Lycoming 160hp. It was a fun aircraft before the rebuild but I am hoping it will be even better now.

Back to the Maule after reading a bunch of info on them last night it seems like you cant go wrong with the M6/M7. Either one should compliment my Pacer quite nicely. I am looking at the Maule more as a cross country aircraft with the increased gross weight to haul stuff around in compared to my Pacer and possibly get my floatplane endorsement on it.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Maules make great float planes or amphibians. Even with the M-7-235B, the additional weight of amphibs is about 400 lbs more than oleos and wheels. With baggage, it would be a good 3-person airplane. Straight floats are much lighter but you have to deal with lack of AVGAS if you land at a marina. One way around that is the MOGAS STC. I looked into putting my MX-7-180 on amphibs but it would be a poor-performing 2-person airplane. However, it would be fine with straight floats.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Lmjr

Post by Lmjr »

Andy,
I am baffled by your comment that you lose some power from running mogas since it has a lower octane rating.

Higher octane is used to control detonation in higher compression engines, not produce more power in any given engine. The I-540 B4B5 produces same H.P. on either car gas or 100LL.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I found a good article on using MOGAS vs. AVGAS here: https://www.bp.com/en/global/air-bp/new ... mogas.html
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yes, but timing is fixed on airplane engines.

On modern car engines, the computer adjusts the timing to make optimal use of whatever fuel you’re running (generally by advancing timing until onset of knock, then backing off a bit). On your airplane, timing advance is specified by the manufacturer, and does not adjust for fuel octane, load, or even RPM; it’s just fixed at one point. So while running TOO low an octane might in theory cause detonation, power output will be the same, up to that point.

Andy,
I know you know all this; just putting it in for the record. Never know who might read this, even years from now, and
potentially be confused. Of course someday we might actually have modern ignition systems on our planes, that CAN adjust the timing “on the fly”.

Lmjr

Post by Lmjr »

I'm still surprised by the misunderstanding surrounding gasoline and octane rating. I've heard people talking about running avgas in cars because it produces more H.P.. There is very little difference in the BTU's of different grades of gasoline. Higher octane slows combustion so the fuel air mixture burns vs exploding (detonation). This allows the timing to be advanced further and for higher compression pistons both can increase H.P.

But again if you have an engine certified to run on mogas you will gain no increase in HP by running avgas (100ll). Thats not to say that there aren't other advantages to avgas. But horsepower is not one.

We have to be carefull what we post on forums, there are to many BS wives tales concerning GA aircraft engines as it is. We dont need anymore.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I used av gas in 2 stroke dirt bikes all the time. It was cheaper than adding octane boosters for those hot, summer Texas days.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Pacer!
My association with Maule Aircraft began in my youth when the Banner Towing outfit I worked for leased-back a M-5-180 every Fall season for SEC football game tows. After spending 6 hours a day every day in the summer in a Scout (8GCBC) the Maule was much more responsive, equal in tow capabilities with the same 0-360 yet was much faster and IFR for traveling.
Additionally I performed several deliveries for Maule Air over the years. After flying all the models I personally prefer the M5-180 for pure flight qualities. However comma, they all are superior to anything else in their class IMHO, arguably in a class of their own!

Now, after 40 years of flying fast jets and others, the M5-180 still puts a smile on my face.
V/R
Smokey

PS: As far as MoGas goes,,I ran non ethanol 91 octane laced with Marvel Mystery Oil in my RV6 (0-360J) for many years. With dual P-Mag EI, engine temps, performance and longevity were identical.
Here's a good MoGas article for your perusal. However, here in TX 100LL and non ethanol Mogas cost the same within a few centavos...😎
https://generalaviationnews.com/2011/03 ... gas-myths/