Maule Northern-tier x-c, October 2021?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Wingman12

Maule Northern-tier x-c, October 2021?

Post by Wingman12 »

I'm a new Maule owner (1966 M4 210C, big tires), taking the long route from CA through OR, WA, ID, MT, Great Lakes, VA, NC, FL. I plan to camp at airstrips such as Johnson Creek, etc and especially want to find the hot-springs strips. Lots of tailwheel time and mountain time but haven't been in these areas for a few years. Any suggestions, tips, advice, connections along the way would be appreciated. Also about this model Maule operation (hot start and RPM/MP practices, etc).
Thanks!

andy
Site Admin

Re: Maule Northern-tier x-c, October 2021?

Post by andy »

If you're going to land at Johnson Creek or other Idaho back country airstrips in October, check on active forest fires before you go at https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/ . When I was there in September/October 2016 the smoke from the forest fires settled into the canyons in the southern airstrips of the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area and visibility was terrible - especially at Johnson Creek.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

No hot springs there, but I suggest camping at Rainelle in West Virginia. Really pretty grass strip up on top a ridge. The contact info is on the recreational aviation foundation website.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

If you're looking for hot springs think about stopping at KHSP Ingals Field when you pass through Virginia. They loped off the peak of a mountain back in the late 1920's early 30's to make a landing strip for the Homestead hotel & resort
The best Government, is less Government.

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Thanks Andy, Tim, VA Maule, et al! I've been hoping to see the bad fires die down out west (I flew 3 seasons with NCFS in L19 and Beaver, know what smoke can be like!). I've been to Rainelle, years ago. It would be nice to re-visit, don't know if they still have that tiny restaurant open. I'll be looking to add KHSP also, never been. Anyone else with tips/info, I'm hungry.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

In northern Montanan along the Canadian border we have not had any problems with the smoke for at least 6 weeks. Just sunshine and the standard 100 mile visibility.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Wingman12, when did you work for NCFS? We haven't had L19s or a Beaver for quite a while.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Hey Andy,
I flew for The North Carolina Forest Service for 3 seasons, ~1998-2001. That was in the Eastern Region based out of Kinston, NC. Lots of fun flying patrols to the beach and back over the forests, lots of low-level, sometimes through smoke, soot and ash to guide the ground troops in. I flew the Bird Dog, not the SEATs (Dromaders) and some Beaver time and instructing in the Bird Dog my last season there. I love the 'Dawg, great visibility, STOL performance with 60 deg flaps, spacious seat and stick, etc. Lots of fun. Pay was subsistence, but lived with other pilots in a nicely refurbished dorm, each of us had our own room.
What region are you in? I know they were ditching all the Dawgs and Hueys in the woods behind the maintenance hangar as they wore out. Are you flying 172s or 182s now? Hope it's as much fun, regardless!
Dean

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I used to be assigned to Region 3 out of Asheville but now NCFS Aviation is a statewide resource rather than being aligned with the 3 regions. After 7 years I stopped flying for them in 2019 when they moved to a statewide central dispatching system. The new system made sense from a closest resource viewpoint but it resulted in pilots having to cover for pilots who were unavailable in other regions across the state. It was becoming more like a full time job than a part time job and I was getting home late every night. My wife didn't like our lives revolving around fire seasons either. I still work for them from home programming a web database application that I built to manage their flight operations, aircraft maintenance, pilot currency and a host of other functions. When I was flying for them, I flew a 1985 Cessna A185F (Plane 16) most of the time but occasionally a 182S or 182T. Always wanted to fly a Bird Dog though. Perfect scout plane but not so good for transporting multiple passengers or cargo. They got rid of the Dromaders and now have two Air Tractor 802F SEATs with 1440 SHP turbine engines. There have been some pay raises but it's still pretty low. Bryan still flies a 185F for them. They have three 185F taildraggers, one old, tired 172 that's a loaner from USFS and the rest of the scout planes are 182S or 182T.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Great to have the NCFS update Andy. Interesting they have the 185s, after changing to the nosedraggers. I envy your time in the 185! Sounds like you made the best deal of it now. I wouldn't want that cover-schedule, either.

Wingman12

Post by Wingman12 »

Good to know N Montana has been CAVU, hope I get there before too much snow flies. Thanks Montana Maule. Are you far north of Kalispell?

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I'm in Cut Bank ( KCTB). About 100 miles east of Kalispell on the lee side of the mountains. Stop and visit if you have time.