Tailwheel control on landing rollout

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Adam

Tailwheel control on landing rollout

Post by Adam »

Just got an mX7 180 A - Im having trouble with tailwheel control. On landing after keeping straight on rollout as I start to use either rudder or brake the tailwheel wants to lock me into a sharp left turn. I have literally gone round in a 360 circle (at low speed) and even with full right brake it still wants to pull left regardless of wind direction. Is there a pin that's missing or am I doing something wrong. Ive got enough tailwheel time to know something isn't right!!

Thanks
I Maule over it

montana maule
100+ Posts

Re: Tailwheel control on landing rollout

Post by montana maule »

That's certainly not correct. Does it only happen on landing? What type of tailwheel? Maule or Scott? Jack the tail up so the wheel is off the ground. Push the wheel left and right. Should go about 20- 30 degrees either side of center then disconnect. Should not take a lot of pressure to do that and should travel the same distance both sides. Check all attaching bolts to tailspring and airframe. Both rudder horn springs attached and have the same tension? That little wheel is usually the most over looked maintenance item on the aircraft.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

If you have factory main gear do yourself a favor and check if it’s bent. Mine was severely bent and I have no doubt it was why I had ground handling issues in my first few hours with my Maule. I have never had handling issues with my new HD gear.

Hopefully your issue is just a funky tail wheel, but check that main gear anyways.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I had a tailwheel (Scott) where the bent metal spring (looks like this: \__/ ) had deformed a bit so it would only steer in one direction. Maybe at initial touchdown when your air rudder is still working, you have control but then when you get slow, you lose right steering so it's bound to go left at some point? Seems like this would show up at taxi though. Good luck!

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

Not sure what brake master cyl you have. Mine had the little tab that lifts when the parking brake is applied. My left tab was getting stuck pretty regularly from just hitting the brakes (not touching parking cable). It was causing me to have a hell of a time when not on gravel. I ended up removing the little tabs.
If that pic shows, mine is similar.

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

No issues with keeping it straight after removing the “lever lock”

Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks guys; It's a Maule tailwheel, I think I need to get it up on jacks and have a look and see what's going on. There is no problem on take off it seems to show itself on landing and taxying after flight. Will jack it up and have a look.

Thanks
Adam
I Maule over it

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

When you have the tail wheel jacked up, take a look at the leaf spring too. If it is cocked off to one side, it could contribute to the problem.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Gary Raser

Post by Gary Raser »

I have also had the parking brake tab hang up, when the cable is lose. I have backed the bolt holding the tab out so the tab lays flat on the top of the brake cylinder and does not even touch the o-ring under the tab. It now seams to be working fine.
Does anyone know the proper way to adjust the bolt holding the tab?

Thanks
Gary

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

I've known owners remove the whole system. Most importantly the tab. Carry a light weight set of wheel chocks or tie it down when unattended. Maule does have a drawing for a hydraulic valve parking brake.