Joined the Maule family

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
FJLG

Joined the Maule family

Post by FJLG »

Well I have been trolling the forum now for a few years and late last November I pulled the trigger and bought an M7 260 on Wipaire amphibs. It’s a 98 model with only 550 hrs. I only managed to get a few hours in before winter hit so am just now starting to fly it. I am really enjoying the need for speed, was cruising 124 kts at 4500 ft 24 squared. Big increase from my cub on amphibs. What I was anxious to find out was how much of my grass runway it was going to need. Turns out I am able to get off in about the same distance as my cub at gross weight of 2700 lbs so that was a good news story. I have a question. I’m about 6 ft tall and need the seat back as far as it goes but if I relax back in the seat I have a hard time seeing much over the dash. Has anyone adjusted the seat higher?
Floyd
98 M7 260 on Wip amphibs
Saskatchewan

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Joined the Maule family

Post by Andy Young »

Welcome!

Lots of people have modified the seat foam to achieve various positioning results. I shaped the bottom and backrest parts of mine to give a more upright seating position, vs, the stock semi-reclined position. Others have removed foam from the seat bottom to give more head clearance. You can get new foam to start with, or work with the stock foam and re-shape it. Carving the foam can be done with a hot-wire knife, or an oscillating-type electric knife (the type they sell for carving turkeys, etc.). Finish shaping is easily done with an abrasive disc on an angle grinder, but be aware that this makes a huge mess. You can also just skip all the trouble and pay Oregon Aero an insane amount of money to do all this for you, with excellent, but expensive results.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Some impressive stats on amphibs for sure. Welcome and congrats.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Craigh-KRPH

Post by Craigh-KRPH »

Congratulations and welcome!
Craig Helm
'97 MXT-7-180A
Graham, TX (KRPH)

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

This gem was in the lobgooks of my first Maule.

TJ Van Matre

FJLG

Post by FJLG »

Hey that’s a good one.
Floyd
98 M7 260 on Wip amphibs
Saskatchewan

FJLG

Post by FJLG »

:D Someone I know made this adjustment to their seat frame at the back. Lifted the rear of the seat 1.25 inches. Seat still adjusts forward and back the same. He says it seems to work good and a way more comfortable to sit in. :D

Floyd
98 M7 260 on Wip amphibs
Saskatchewan

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Brilliant!

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Awesome looking Maule.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If I bought a seaplane, it would be the M7-260 on Wipaire amphibs with a 3-blade prop. Nice airplane! Welcome to the forum.

If you can live with a lower-tech seat adjustment, try using a tapered cushion like this one. It's what I use, although I'm not as tall as you. It lifts your rear up but not your knees, so you don't bump them into the yoke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M ... UTF8&psc=1
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

I sit on a boat cushion and I don't even have floats on my M7. "in the event of a water landing..."
:D
1999 M7-235C

FJLG

Post by FJLG »

Thanks, I’m still learning but enjoying every minute. The adjustment on the seat steals a little leg room but sure helps see over the dash. It took longer to get the seat out and back in than it did to make it. The hardest part is learning all the instruments in the dash. Last guy who owed it also had a jet so wanted the works I guess. It’s stressing my brain but slowly getting it also.