MT7-235 pattern, approach and landing

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Knoxville

MT7-235 pattern, approach and landing

Post by Knoxville »

It's me again - a new Maule owner with questions. This forum has been great so far. So I have about 20 landings so far. The plane is not landing like my SuperCub. My landings are kind of abrupt. I need some experienced advice about all of this for the MT7, especially numbers like speeds from downwind on down, power, flap settings and descent rates in the pattern going into the flare.

andy
Site Admin

Re: MT7-235 pattern, approach and landing

Post by andy »

Do you have vortex generators? They make slow speed landings easier because they delay the progression of a stall over the top of the wing. To answer your questions, I use 80 - 90 mph on downwind then slow to 60 - 65 mph for descent and base. For the shortest landing I use a final approach speed of 55 - 60 mph with full flaps. If I don't need to land short, I use a final approach speed of 60 mph. Descent rate is usually 500 fpm but I don't look at the VSI on final since I use pitch to control airspeed and throttle to control the position of the aiming spot in the windshleld. When I've made the runway, then I pull throttle to idle and flare so that the end of the runway is slightly above the top of the cowling. As airspeed decreases, I control pitch to keep the end of the runway in the same position until touchdown. Since I have a taildragger, once the mains touch down, I rock the yoke forward to keep the tail up until it comes down on its own.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

There was a document Maule produced for the Mexican Air Force that spelled out speeds and power settings in the pattern. Haven’t seen it in a long time and don’t think I have a copy.

Personally, I don’t really have set power and speeds. I fly a 1000’ AGL pattern, power to idle abeam the landing point, flaps 20 as speed permits, then a curving base leg. Full flaps when landing assured.

Best help I got in landing was watching Back Country Aviation’s videos, particularly the one on the approach describing the “flat wing” approach.

Link here: http://www.backcountryaviation.com/stol-tips/

Kirk

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi Knoxville,
I have a copy of the document to which Kirk has alluded, it is for the MX-7-160 (tail wheel).
Should you wish for a copy please PM with your email address.
M6-235

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Maules don’t behave like Cubs. Maules perform more of an arrival. Meaning they tend to plop down. This is especially true if you have smaller tires. The slower you go the more angle of attack you have at touch down thus the aggressive arrival. With larger tires comes a bit less plop. Or you can just come in a bit hotter and risk a bit more bounce if you don’t add just the right amount of grease. Most of my landings are in a fairly true 3-point with 31” tires. If I’m trying to milk it in on a short strip then I will most certainly hit tail first and plop the mains down. So if you take that into perspective based on tire size the Maule will absolutely plop down if you are pushing it’s lower envelope so maybe add a mile or two per hour to get rid of the plop.

Knoxville

Post by Knoxville »

Thanks for the replies. Is there much of a use for half-flap landings? When? If so is there a need for a different technique?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

The more flaps used allow for slower touchdown speed which equates to shorter rollout. The only reason to land with less than full flaps is to touchdown at a higher air speed in gusty crosswinds but at that the airplane still has to transition through the slower speed before stopping. So practice landing as slow as possible with full flaps with good wind and runway alinement ( in ground effects air speed will be registering below stall) and don't force it onto the ground with full flaps it will bounce back into the air and set up the potential for porpoising and the 3rd bounce usually results with a prop strike.
For those crosswind landings put that upwind wing down and hold her straight with the rudder and keep putting in more ailron and rudder as it slowed down. If it or you can't hold her straight go around try again or find a runway more in alinement with the wind . Have fun enjoy,try not to bend it
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Landing flaps
Full (48) flaps is what I use for landing when the wind is reasonable. I use 24 degrees flaps for landing in gusty crosswinds. I don't often use 40 degrees flaps on landing. The more flaps used, the more effect the crosswind has on the wing since lift increases along with drag. It's not a good idea to spend time floating over the runway at low air speeds in a gusty crosswind because the crosswind will more easily push you sideways. Too much final approach speed will cause floating. You want to find a final approach speed that results in a flare followed closely by touch down. Flap setting, weight and wind will affect the amount of float as well.

Takeoff flaps
I often use 40 degrees flaps for short takeoffs. There's a lot of drag and lift created with 40 degrees flaps. The wing is perfectly capable of flying with the drag of 40 degrees flaps, but your climb rate will be slow and CHT temperature in hot weather will require more airspeed. Once I climb above the nearby obstacles, I raise the flaps to 24 degrees to climb faster and then retract them completely for extended climb. You can get a good feel for the effect of the flaps on lift and drag by holding the flap release button and moving the flap lever through its travel while climbing. 40 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for my airplane in terms of lift/drag except for extended climbs where CHT temperature is a factor. I used to use the "flap popping" technique to get off the ground quicker on takeoff but stopped doing so years ago because it requires reaching down and getting distracted during the takeoff roll. With the big 31" tires reaching down also reduces visibility over the glare shield.
Andy
1986 MX7-180