Finally Joined the Maule Family

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
krautman67

Re: Finally Joined the Maule Family

Post by krautman67 »

Mobile...That’s a nice M5!

I’ll try to save you a bunch of work and reading. You don’t need ADS-B in Canadian Airspace below 18,000’. You just need a transponder if operating in Controlled Airspace. We’ve got lots of Class E airspace....”empty”😀. It will be a few years till Nav Canada makes any such mandate. Having said that, ATC uses the ADS-B in commercial aircraft under ADS-C, contract, which means they interrogate the aircraft whenever they want without pilot input. This bit of technology makes ATC’s job much easier in remote areas, since they can see you way beyond any radar coverage, like over the ocean. I mention this because you may hear a controller say “ADS identified” way out in the middle of the bush.

Your route.... I randomly selected Portland Maine to Juno just for sh*ts and giggles. The great circle distance is 2,415nm. I then put in a routing that has a few options for overnighting and fuel options that takes you way north of the beaten path, but yet not in the officially “sparsely settled” area of Canada. This distance then went up to 2,455nm. The longest leg in the photo below is 520nm, a tad long, but many other stops nearby to shorten the leg without affecting the total distance more than a few miles. This should take you around most of the nasty terrain, but I’m out east, so the guys who have commented above would know better than me. Not a very glamorous route, few attractions, but the shortest. Check the price of avgas at airnav.com or other app, some northern airports have high fuel prices.
Have Fun! Carl

[url=https://postimg.cc/R68hvVWs][img]https://i.postimg.cc/R68hvVWs/00834-A99 ... BD5-AA.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Thank you both! Thats great information. You saved me from making a big mistake.I need to replace my transponder and was about to buy the non wass, non deversity GTX 345. I have a GNS 430W. But I can see from what you are saying, that to cross Canada, I will soon need a GTX 345 that supports a diversity antania set up. I guess that I better start collecting more aluminum cans. . .
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

MandM, yes, for sure if you are traveling up via Napa County CA and I am here, be sure to stop by. Call or email me so I know.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

A great explanation of the ADS-B details Andy, thank you.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

MobileandMonitoring

Post by MobileandMonitoring »

andy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 pm
One of the most valuable upgrades in any airplane is a good engine monitor that includes a fuel totalizer. That's especially true on long trips with quite a bit of distance between fuel stops. I have a JPI EDM 800 with all of the sensors: fuel flow, CHT/EGT on each cylinder, carburetor temp, manifold pressure, outside temperature and RPM. My EDM 800 is wired to my Garmin GTN 650 GPS so it knows how long to the next waypoint and how much fuel is needed based on the current fuel burn. The engine monitor also warns of electrical system problems by monitoring voltage. I have an external JPI interface that captures the historical information from the EDM 800 via a jack on the panel to a thumb drive that plugs into my desktop computer for identifying trends and potential engine problems like a sticky valve with the EZTrends app.
Thank you I've been looking at the EDM 800. Seems like a great upgrade. However as I'm now on a bit of a budget what do you think of the JPI Fuel Scan FS450?
psehorne wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm
MobileandMonitoring wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 pm
... will be taking the most safe route through Canada on the way up...
I've heard that Canada's ADS-B requirements are different than U.S. Canada may require 1090-MHz extended squitter (1090ES) ADS-B Out. You should check into this yourself... Maybe someone on the forum can provide accurate info.
Thanks for bringing this into the discussion!
krautman67 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 am
Mobile...That’s a nice M5!

I’ll try to save you a bunch of work and reading. You don’t need ADS-B in Canadian Airspace below 18,000’. You just need a transponder if operating in Controlled Airspace. We’ve got lots of Class E airspace....”empty”😀. It will be a few years till Nav Canada makes any such mandate. Having said that, ATC uses the ADS-B in commercial aircraft under ADS-C, contract, which means they interrogate the aircraft whenever they want without pilot input. This bit of technology makes ATC’s job much easier in remote areas, since they can see you way beyond any radar coverage, like over the ocean. I mention this because you may hear a controller say “ADS identified” way out in the middle of the bush.

Your route.... I randomly selected Portland Maine to Juno just for sh*ts and giggles. The great circle distance is 2,415nm. I then put in a routing that has a few options for overnighting and fuel options that takes you way north of the beaten path, but yet not in the officially “sparsely settled” area of Canada. This distance then went up to 2,455nm. The longest leg in the photo below is 520nm, a tad long, but many other stops nearby to shorten the leg without affecting the total distance more than a few miles. This should take you around most of the nasty terrain, but I’m out east, so the guys who have commented above would know better than me. Not a very glamorous route, few attractions, but the shortest. Check the price of avgas at airnav.com or other app, some northern airports have high fuel prices.
Have Fun! Carl

Thanks for the clarification. I like the fast route you have there. I'll actually be planning on visiting California before heading up to Alaska but appreciate the tips.
maules.com wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:36 pm
MandM, yes, for sure if you are traveling up via Napa County CA and I am here, be sure to stop by. Call or email me so I know.
Great I'll have to message you in a few weeks.
1982 M-6-235. Social Media and Website

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The FS450 is a good unit. That's what I recommended that we get for the fixed-wings at work. A fuel totalizer is probably the most valuable part of an engine analyzer system. Otherwise, you are guessing at the amount of fuel burned and the amount left.
Andy
1986 MX7-180