Goodyear/dresser bush tires

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Ryan in Georgia

Goodyear/dresser bush tires

Post by Ryan in Georgia »

Does the goodyear 26x10.5-6 bushtire have an stc for the MX-7
I want to put them on but cant find one. I know it fits my stock rims and is a TSO airworthy tire.
But do i have to jump to experimental to put them on if there is no STC?
As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in schools.

asa
100+ Posts

Re: Goodyear/dresser bush tires

Post by asa »

Field approval is an option if there is not an STC, I did that on my Cessna 180. They are only about 2" bigger in diameter than 850's so you might find it's not worth all the effort - they are not actually 26".

Lots of useful info here:
https://backcountrypilot.org/knowledge- ... tire-guide

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

There is a thread about the 26" Goodyears on this site. I have them on both of my Maules. Half the price and last four times as long as the ABW tires. Most of us don't really land places the ABW are needed.

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I don't know what brakes you have on your MX-7. I could be wrong, but believe per the Drawings that 8.50's are the largest that are approved with a single puck brake. You might have to upgrade the brakes also. If you are interested I have a copy of a field approval for the 26" GY's that was done a year and a half ago that I can send you a copy of, just PM your email address. Just like asa said they are not a true 26.
No great story started with a good idea...

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I've been bugging two local DER's for the last several months to try and get this field approval worked through the process. Their motivation level lags way behind mine. Does anyone know a DER that will push these approvals through to completion without having to be local to them? I have the prior 337 field approval for approved data that Guhr shared with me. I'm hoping to get this done before I decide to shell out even more money for 31's.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

I’m also working on getting a field approval for Goodyear 26’s on my MX-7-180C with ABI double puck brakes and ABI wheels.

Huge thanks to the 2 guys that shared your previous field approvals with me. Thank you!

I’m looking for a couple more “approved” field approvals for anyone who wouldn’t mind sharing theirs.

It would be nice if we could have a documents tab or thread to have these available to all members

The more approvals we can get, the better off we’ll all be.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

A nice size comparison for GY 8.5 x GY 26’s x ABW 26”

N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

PM me for my 337 example. These inspectors need to pull their head out of their a$$ and approve these requests. They would be laughed out of the room in places like Alaska!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Rezrider wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:48 pm
PM me for my 337 example. These inspectors need to pull their head out of their a$$ and approve these requests. They would be laughed out of the room in places like Alaska!

Case in point: I got the metal belly for my M-6 approved in Alaska in a week! I can’t imagine trying to get that approved at all in the lower 48, and it certainly would take months or years if you could.

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

I’m looking for a copy of a 337 as an example for my mechanic. I’m trying to put the 26” Goodyears on my M7. I did PM some of the responses above but haven’t had a response yet. I’m hoping to get this to my mechanic by Monday.

Thanks so much!

Brandon