Gull Wing Doors

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
flyusn99
100+ Posts

Gull Wing Doors

Post by flyusn99 »

Anyone have any information on converting standard pilot and copilot doors into the vertical opening delorean style gull wing doors? I've searched the archives and sent a few PMs to owners who mentioned they had them but have yet to hear back from anyone. I'm assuming its a field approval but if anyone has an STC I'd be happy to purchase the paperwork. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

James

montana maule
100+ Posts

Re: Gull Wing Doors

Post by montana maule »

It's a field approval. No STC yet. I have paperwork. Send me a private post with your email.

psehorne

Pics Please

Post by psehorne »

I'm sure I would not be installing gullwing doors, but, just that same, I am interested in seeeing pics.
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Rick,
PM sent. Thank you.

James

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Question about these gull wing doors. Has anyone tried flying with a door open? Maybe on accident or on purpose. Whats the outcome?
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I talked to a Maule owner who has them. He has flown with one open a a time, never both at the same time, He said there was no discernable difference from flying with a door off. I have been attempting to collect copy's of field approvals and different designs. If I can ever find a sympathetic FAA inspector I would get them like right now.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I have the 337 paperwork as well. If interested pm me

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

David Maule has designed and built a really slick gull wing door incorporating the new door latch system. When or if he ever gets around to getting it certified has yet to be seen. I sure hope he does as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in them.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Duane wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:14 am
David Maule has designed and built a really slick gull wing door incorporating the new door latch system. When or if he ever gets around to getting it certified has yet to be seen. I sure hope he does as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in them.

I think there would be a huge amount of interest in that Duane. However, given that very Maule door is custom-fit to the airframe, it wouldn’t quite work to just order a pair. Or does his design involve a retro-fit to the existing doors? If so, that might sell like hot cakes.

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Duane wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:14 am
Duane, as Andy and others have indicated, I also believe this would be a very popular Factory Modification, especially if any kit were to incorporate the latest door latch.
M6-235

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Ditto for me as well, with one caveat, All of the Maule Mods field approvals that I have seen (4) have required the removal of the swing out windows. I can't understand why, I see no compelling reason to omit the swing out window. I want both gullwing doors and swing out windows.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I like the idea of Gull Wing and swing out windows. But I would rather sacrifice for more weight savings. I am currently pondering rebuilding my doors to be full “glass” top to bottom with no aluminum trim. That’s combined with gull wing would be sweet. Then the ability to fly with a gull wing open would be the icing.

I just sold myself, Duane get those doors certified as retrofit ASAP.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

When we were racing off road, weight saving was the most important thing for me and I spent a lot of money on aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber. One of my good (ex) fiends said, you want to really save some weight? I got two words for you. Jenny Craig! Na, were still friends. but the math is true, twenty five pounds off of me, in airplane dollars, is worth what ? $25,000 ?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

That saying has been around for ever and is always true. But, serious weight reduction can be had for little money on certified aircraft when you start removing junk and unneeded frills. I could easily drop 25lbs in my plane today for under $4k and that’s being conservative. Just changing my starter and battery alone would probably do it. Add that up with dropping a pound per door and you start making a real dent. Plus Jenny Craig is gross! 😉

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I'm sure it is gross! I have all ready plucked most of the low hanging fruit. I have the lightest starter/ battery/ alternator/ that is legal for my plane along with CF prop/ CF floorboard/ CF wing tips Yada Yada Yada. From here on, I'm past the fat and down to the bone.