Facebook alternative

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Spiff

Facebook alternative

Post by Spiff »

This site, Maulepulots.org is wonderful. It is a fantastic source for Maule information. For anyone wanting to support an additional alternative to Facebook, there is a new Maule group on MeWe. It is new and needs some Maule posts. Please never think of it as a replacement for this site, but only an additional resource.

I want you to join my group on MeWe: https://mewe.com/join/thosewhoflymauleaircraft

psehorne

Re: Facebook alternative

Post by psehorne »

Spiff wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:52 am
This site, Maulepulots.org is wonderful. It is a fantastic source for Maule information. For anyone wanting to support an additional alternative to Facebook, there is a new Maule group on MeWe. It is new and needs some Maule posts. Please never think of it as a replacement for this site, but only an additional resource.

I want you to join my group on MeWe: https://mewe.com/join/thosewhoflymauleaircraft
I've not heard of MeW3, but as for Facebook, I will not join - too intrusive, every marketer out there knows your every move. Not for me. My wife has a Facebook acct and is bombarded with tracking nuisance.

Tell us about MeWe.
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I deleted my Facebook account a while ago because of the difficulty in maintaining information privacy, targeted marketing and slews of ads. Any social networking site succeeds or fails by virtue of like minded people who need a free, secure, non-intrusive, easy-to-use place to connect to one another and share information. Once that site compromises any of those requirements, its eventual decline is inevitable. Facebook has compromised all of them in order to generate revenue. The only things that keep it alive are its user base and the lack of effective competitors. Many Facebook users are leaving to go to Parler and MeWe. Parler is funded by ad revenue. Twitter is similar to Facebook in that it is funded by ad revenue but it is far from easy-to-use, employing even it's own abbreviated language and short messages. MeWe has been around for about 8 years and allegedly is committed to the privacy of user information, unlike Facebook or Twitter.

Here are WikiPedia links describing MeWe and Parler.

You have to look at how these sites are funded to understand their goals and how those goals will influence "free, secure, non-intrusive and easy-to-use" needs. MeWe is currently funded by subscriptions for additional features that might be desirable to users. That model is widely used by Apple and Android apps in the mobile computing world. You might be right in the middle of researching or sharing information only to discover that the feature that you want is only available by subscription. Often, the site or app will not tell you in advance which features are only available by subscription in order to lure you in. If not enough revenue is generated by subscription purchases, then the next steps are ad revenue and selling user data to marketeers. That's what happened to Facebook in the name of growth.

Another key feature of any social media site is "like-mindedness". All social media sites allow groups of like-minded users to congregate in subsections. The difficulty of doing that often puts off potential users. Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, MeWe, Parler and others feature groups. Group moderators are very important to the success of a group because they keep the group focused and screen out posts that are contrary to the group's goals. If no moderator is willing to put time and effort into keeping the group focused, then it will die out.

The Maule Forum isn't trying to generate revenue or even cover costs, although contributions to cover Christine's hosting service costs are welcome. Christine and I don't charge for our labor to support the site because we are both Maule owners and we see the value of a site that is only interested in sharing Maule information. In that respect the forum is more like WikiPedia, Open Source Foundation or GitHub, which are funded by voluntary donations of money and labor to support the advancement of specific areas of knowledge. However, the Maule Forum's focus is much narrower than any of these sites and therefore is easier to support with two people.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Thank You Andy & Christine!
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

I am new to MeWe and fed up with Facebook. I am tired of the tracking, censorship and creepy control that facebook has over us. So far, MeWe seems to be secure, free from tracking and doesn't censor or remove posts. It is truly free speech as far as I can tell anyway. I started a Maule group on that platform that is similar to the ones on facebook, but with free speech. It does use the pay to play model as others have said, but that keeps it free of corporate sponsors and censorship. I do like this website very much and am only suggesting that if you like the social media and don't like facebook, there is an alternative. Anyway come check it out.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Personally, I don't see the need to break up our pool of information on such a small and specific topic (Maules!). This site should be the go to place (besides the factory) for all information regarding Maules. There are at least two Maule groups on facebook that I'm aware of, and I don't feel the need to join yet another service simply to get Maule information. Maybe that's just me. I can't imagine any posting that would be on topic that would be in danger of being censored either here or on FB, except maybe a personal dispute between a buyer and seller- but even that could serve as a warning for the community as to who to deal with when buying parts.

As a side observation, I've found it somewhat entertaining to see people on facebook that tend to share "politically charged" meme's that get fact checked, start pushing for other sites like parler and mewe in the past 4-6 weeks :lol: Ironically, these same people were the ones that liked to throw around the term "snowflake" :lol: There are ways to tailor your FB feed to weed out a lot of the crap.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Amen.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Agreed. I'm not going to sign up for a social media platform to chat maules. Perfectly happy here.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I have to agree as well. I keep my social media footprint to an absolute minimum. I have a Facebook account so that old friends can find me and send me a email, but I go to my own Facebook page maybe once every six months. I very rarely go to other people’s pages. I often think of deleting it altogether. If I did, I see no need to replace it with anything. I don’t Twitter or Instagram, or anything else like that.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Facebook is like a rash once you start scratching it’s hard to stop. My kids and grandkids are on it so I use it to keep up with them and old friends. I try not to pay to much attention to all the noise on there but it is good for keeping up with friend and family. Since I retired I have been busy doing a lot of things that I had put off and don’t spend as much time on the computer. Anyway this is the best resource for Maule owner.
Kirk
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money