Anyone own a Stearman

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Anyone own a Stearman

Post by FARMAULE »

Hey everyone, Im in the middle of designing a barn that will double as a hangar hopefully. I’m in need of some dimensions. I think the biggest plane it will likely house is an M7 but have always dreamt of a Stearman one day. If anyone can give me the measurements from tip of the spinner to trailing edge of the wings/flaps of either airframe I’d appreciate it. I can find all other dimensions but this particular One. The barn will be Amish built with some engineering for the door but think tight t-hangar to understand why I need this particular measurement. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.

psehorne

Re: Anyone own a Stearman

Post by psehorne »

FARMAULE wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Hey everyone, Im in the middle of designing a barn that will double as a hangar hopefully. I’m in need of some dimensions. I think the biggest plane it will likely house is an M7 but have always dreamt of a Stearman one day. If anyone can give me the measurements from tip of the spinner to trailing edge of the wings/flaps of either airframe I’d appreciate it. I can find all other dimensions but this particular One. The barn will be Amish built with some engineering for the door but think tight t-hangar to understand why I need this particular measurement. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.
I do not own a Stearman. So these are calculated guestimates from this drawing Image.

DOUBLE CHECK MY FIGURES
Based on this drawing, the total length of a Stearman is 25' 1 3/4". 32 5/8" forward of the back end of the rudder a line starts that goes to the leading edge of the upper (most forward wing) 15' 10 3/8". So the leading edge of the upper wind is 6' 6 3/4" (Total length of the airplane 25' 1 3/4" - 15' 10 3/8' - 32 5/8' ) back from the prop. From there it is 87" (7'' 3") back to the trailing edge of the lower wing. Therefore the trailing edge of the lower wing is 13' 9 3/4" (leading edge of the upper wing 6' 6 3/4" + distance from leading edge of upper wing to trailing edge of lower wing 7' 3") from the prop.
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

psehorne

Re: Maule M7 wing trailing edge

Post by psehorne »

The M7 specs show that total length 23 ft. 8 in. Measuring pics, the trailing edge of the wing is .636 of the length back from the spinner. So it should be slightly less than 15' 1"

Hopefully someone with an M7 will actually measure it for you.
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

We have two Stearmans at my grass strip. If you want I can get their dimensions. I do knowmthat the hanger I am in was designed specifically to house one of them and my M7 fits nicely but with not much room to spare in both width and length dimensions.

Tim

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks for the replies. Smarter minds than mine apparently. If you wouldn’t miNd grabbing an actual measurement that would be great. Now I’m curious if the math works. Also any M7 numbers would be awesome.

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

FARMAULE wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:44 pm
Thanks for the replies. Smarter minds than mine apparently. If you wouldn’t miNd grabbing an actual measurement that would be great. Now I’m curious if the math works. Also any M7 numbers would be awesome.
I have a Stearman. I'll try to get measurements on Friday and post them. I can tell you my hangar door has a 10' clearance and it barely clears.

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

Sometimes you have to think positive even when others think it can’t be done!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I had someone offer me a flying Stearman back in the 80's. Had I known what they would be worth today... I'd love to fly one! There is a really nice one based here at 4AK6.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Snaproll, I tried to PM you buy it’s stuck in my outbox for some reason. I’d appreciate if you could get the measurements and I’d love to hear about Stearman ops.

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Crap. Completely forgot about this. I'll get it done tomorrow.

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

So, you'll need a MINIMUM of 12' from the training edge of the lower wing to the bottom blade of the prop. While you could squeeze it into that space it would be so close that you could pretty much count on dinging something at some point. The hangar I have the Stearman in has almost 18' from the door to the wall behind the wing and that worked well. Hangar construction is much cheaper than repairing damage on an old Stearman. :D

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks I appreciate the effort.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Someone else may have mentioned this but I read up on how PMs work in phpBB 3.2. Apparently a PM will stay in the Outbox until it is read.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

dastout

Post by dastout »

If you need exact dimensions your hangar/ barn WILL be too small!

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

dastout wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 am
If you need exact dimensions your hangar/ barn WILL be too small!
I completely agree and understand what your saying. I basically own a property on the National Historic Registry and am trying to preserve an 1860s bank barn (60x44). My current barn is beyond repair so we’re starting a new build but using the old school way. Utilizing Mortise and Tenon and having the spans needed for an aircraft is a challenge. The main purpose of the barn is not too hangar an airplane that’s just an added bonus of the project if we can figure it out.