Finally joined the Maule family!

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
flyingBC

Finally joined the Maule family!

Post by flyingBC »

I've owned a 172 for a few years since I got my PPL, but a Maule has been at or near the top of my list of planes all along. Through word-of-mouth I came across this M4-210 and knew it was "the one". Previous owner bought it out of Colorado in 2004 after it had suffered some minor wingtip damage and a prop strike. Everything rebuilt in 2004/2005, and flown very little since. Had a good pre-buy inspection done, and agreed on a price...and a few days later it was mine! Only drawback is it doesn't have the double cargo door, but I can live with that. Hoping to add an engine monitor and a vernier mixture control at some point...and I'm not sold on the vernier throttle at this point but maybe I'll get used to it. Based in Vancouver/Squamish, BC. I'd love to do the skylight mod to get some more headroom too, but that's a long way in he future when it needs recovering!

Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

rv8bldr

Re: Finally joined the Maule family!

Post by rv8bldr »

Welcome!

I picked up my Maule (M5-235C) in Lethbridge and flew it home (near Ottawa) a couple of years ago. I did three mods right away:

- Put in a vernier mixture (I don't think the bowden cable mixture in there had moved in YEARS)
- Took OUT the vernier throttle and put in a push/pull. I found the vernier a PITA trying to do short/spot landings; too hard to manipulate quickly
- Put in an Insight G2 six channel engine monitor.

Last year I put in an AOA indicator thinking it would help with short landings and slow approaches. Not so much. The airplane tells you what it is doing....

Your fabric/paint and interior look awesome. Wish mine looked like that....

Enjoy it!

Mark
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

rv8bldr wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am
- Put in a vernier mixture (I don't think the bowden cable mixture in there had moved in YEARS)
- Took OUT the vernier throttle and put in a push/pull. I found the vernier a PITA trying to do short/spot landings; too hard to manipulate quickly
- Put in an Insight G2 six channel engine monitor.
That was my feeling on the initial flight too - had a really hard time giving it a little "blip" of throttle when needed. I see a lot of people flying with them, so there must be a trick to it.

Oh, also I see you are at Carp? I grew up on that airfield, and my Dad has a hangar there...although he's got his Lance up for sale now.
Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

psehorne

Post by psehorne »

flyingBC wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm
... had a really hard time giving it a little "blip" of throttle when needed. I see a lot of people flying with them, so there must be a trick to it.
Does that throttle not behave as a push-pull when the button on the end of the knob is held in?
Paul
ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Rot/Heli, Instrument Airplane, AGII, UAS
2004 M-4-180V N799ZZ
Hidden Valley Airpark 5TX0, Shady Shores (Denton), TX

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Paul: Yes, it does, but with my body size the geometry for me to hold the button in with the heel of my hand and "blip" the throttle was just too uncomfortable. I like to grip the throttle knob in my hand and use my extended index finger as a gauge to determine how much movement I am making. I found to use the button I would have to change my grip and use my thumb on the button and I just didn't feel I had the control and precision I wanted for quick, minute movements.
Mark
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Warwick: I actually keep my Maule at home in Cedar Hill, about a 25 minute drive from Carp. I did keep my RV-8 there for 13 years, though, and I have seen your Dad's Lance at the field.
Mark
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Looks like a beauty! Welcome to the family!
I have a M5-210 also. And love it. Have done a few mods over the years like everyone else here. Enjoy!
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Nice looking bird, welcome to the group.
I changed out the vernier throttle control and the push pull mixture control not long after I got my M-5. Not that hard of a job and way better with the new controls.
Have fun with it and fly safe.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Use your palm for the button, not your thumb. I grab it with my hand palm up.

Good looking bird.
TJ Van Matre

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Welcome to the Maule Forum. Nice airplane! I've flown many different aircraft without vernier throttle and I like the vernier throttle, prop and mixture controls on my Maule. I occasionally use the push button on the throttle for more rapid adjustments but I usually don't need it on landing. I like the precision that the vernier control gives. It's almost never necessary or a good idea to rapidly change prop or mixture setting (except starting a fuel-injected engine) so the vernier controls are even more useful on them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

What a beautiful airplane!! Welcome to the family. M4s are great looking with that nice round tail!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Welcome.
As you can see, there are varying opinions on the vernier throttle thing. I personally abhor it, and changed it out on mine to a non-vernier. While I agree that rapid, LARGE throttle changes are rarely needed, I do often find myself wanting to be able to easily make smooth, small changes when approaching just above stall and really needing to hit my mark exactly. Also, when making such an approach, a short, perfectly-timed burst of power is often needed to arrest the descent Rate just above touchdown. I use the same technique as you mentioned: throttle in the palm, index finger against the bezel, though mostly to stabilize and smooth my throttle application, not so much for measurement. Some may say you could twist the vernier for those small changes, but I personally find that this is not fast or exacting enough for my needs. One of the best short landers I know uses the vernier, and holds the knob in with his palm when doing precision short landings; works great for him. You will, of course, decide what’s best for you.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Vernier for me, button in heel of thumb and middle finger curled behind the jamnut of knob and index finger against bezel.
Fast and precise
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

maules.com wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:02 pm
Vernier for me, button in heel of thumb and middle finger curled behind the jamnut of knob and index finger against bezel.
Fast and precise
+1

And congrats, beautiful looking plane.
Don't forget the patroller door mod for your list. Opens it up some and let's you take in that much more scenery while out and about. I couldn't imagine flying without them now.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

That's a good lookin' 4! I think the M4's are sweet handling bird's Welcome Aboard!