M7-235 No Aileron/Rudder Interconnection questions

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Beekeeper

M7-235 No Aileron/Rudder Interconnection questions

Post by Beekeeper »

Can anyone shed some light on the few (handful) built with no Aileron/Rudder interconnect? Specifically, pros/cons, explanations, and if its possible to mod. Thanks much..
Greg
1999 MX7-180
Jets are for kids

freedom
100+ Posts

Re: M7-235 No Aileron/Rudder Interconnection questions

Post by freedom »

I disconnected the cable to the ailerons and installed a rudder trim wheel in the cockpit that tru push-pull cables deflects on both side the rudder trim.
Disconnected the cockpit cable that goes to the rudder.

Will fly test hopefully before the end of the year. Now sure how to legally install it for you guys.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

My question is why are you interested in changing it? Is it causing problems? The only time I've noticed any adverse effect is if it was miss rigged. If you are trying to remove or recover just the rudder it can be an aggravation to deal with.

I don't know of any legal mod to remove the interconnect. I believe it was designed to help aide in the recovery of a spin. Piper did the same thing on Pacers and TriPacers of that same design era. If it is modified or remove and no "field approval" for the change was obtained the FAA considers it "unairworthy" because it does not comply with the Type Certificate. Now most A&Ps would not know the difference and annuals would be signed off. I'm just pointing out the "legal" aspects not the logical and practical.

Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

Ok thanks much for responses but neither understand the question so let me clarify..Im told they were a few (about a handful) built this way with no inter-conx and FAA certified. I would have to verify that with Maule tho. And the mod im referring to is to make the disconnected version into a connected version. Because it was built this way, then there would have to be a mod to connect ail/rudd, right? I dont know why, or the reason this was done or who thought it was a good idea, but I am interested in anything anyone knows about it.
Greg
1999 MX7-180
Jets are for kids

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have been told that removing the interconnect makes the Maule fly much more similar to other airplanes of its kind. I’m told the outcome of removing the system is quite favorable.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Maybe a silly question but would that make it slip better? I really miss the way my pacer fell out of the sky in a slip.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Can’t imagine it would change a slip that much since you can over ride the interconnect by simply controlling the airplane. I guess the little tab on the rudder might effect it a bit but not much. If you want to drop out of the sky just pitch up. You will eventually hit the Maule drop which is pretty dramatic and easily recognizable. The plane will drop fast but quickly come back to life with a little power so you can arrest the massive sink rate. Of course this means you are going to be well under the typical approach speeds most people fly the Maule. Depending on your airplane you may actually not even show airspeed on your ASI.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I do slips sometimes to lose altitude quickly even with full flaps. It's especially useful if you are landing on a short airstrip over tall trees or terrain near the approach end. It's amazing how fast you can sink with 48 degrees of flaps in a full slip at 55 - 60 mph. My experience is that the rudder servo tab-to-aileron interconnect system makes no difference in rudder effectiveness during a slip - probably due to the slower airspeed.

As Montana Maule said, it's there to make the airplane more spin-resistant. I have no idea what the spin characteristics would be without it but I don't have a burning desire to find out. I've done spin training in several aerobatic airplanes and I'm not afraid of them. My Maule has never even come close to a spin, which might be a tribute to the effectiveness of the rudder-aileron coupling. It's not designed or certified for spins. The rudder servo tab sometimes makes banks less intuitive since it opposes attempts to cross-control the airplane. However, I would rather fly an airplane designed and certified for spins than remove the rudder-aileron-servo tab system from a Maule.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

I agree there is little reason, if any, to remove anything the manufacturer designed. But I will look deeper into why Maule decided to build just a few airplanes with no rudd/ail interconx and certify it. Thanks for all your interest and input.
Greg
1999 MX7-180
Jets are for kids

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

It's better. I hated the interconnect.
TJ Van Matre

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The first half dozen M7-235 built in 1984/5 did not have the servo tab but did have rudder/aileron interconnect via bungee springs. This was changed to servo tab in subsequent M7s both with 33'8" and 32'11" wings.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide