Doors Off

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Doors Off

Post by FARMAULE »

Ive removed the pilots door and have been flying on a few nice evenings. I’m curious what the top speed is with a door removed? I’ve been keeping below 80mph and it’s been great. I know this has been posted before but I can’t find it. Thanks

butchwalker

Post by butchwalker »

I believe it's 109 kts

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Probably depends on which model you have, but on my M-6, the Airplane Flight Manual (which I downloaded from MauleAirInc.com) has a short section under Normal Operations titled Door-Off Operation. It lists the door combinations which may be removed, and various other operational limitations. The speed shown for mine is 125 mph. (EDIT: just now saw and verified the other post that we can't download an AFM from MauleAirInc.com anymore - very disappointing)
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

M7 Flight Manual:
- 109K or 125 MPH
- max 30 degrees of bank
- max 10 degrees of yaw
- no smoking
- limit flight to VFR conditions

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks for the info.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I wonder why the bank and yaw restrictions. Why not both front doors. I had a kitfox that was best with both doors off. Alot slower but...

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

crossflow air through cabin when landing or taking off compromises the lift at wing roots and outbound. Think crosswind and the aircraft is going straight.
Besides all the candy wrappers, plastic bottles, paper charts etc will blow out the downwind door hole.
One can experience a mild form of this with both swing windows open and also sense the loss of lift .
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Interesting

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

When I used to fly Robinson helicopters you could fly with both doors off in the summer. Then a paper chart blew out of the cockpit into the tail rotor due to crosswind and caused a fatal accident. Robinson didn't want to be liable so they added a requirement to the operating guide that both doors be closed in flight. There's no tail rotor on a Maule but there's a remote possibility that something blown out of the cockpit could lodge in the rudder or elevator and hinder its operation. No point in taking a chance.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

andy wrote:When I used to fly Robinson helicopters you could fly with both doors off in the summer. Then a paper chart blew out of the cockpit into the tail rotor due to crosswind and caused a fatal accident. Robinson didn't want to be liable so they added a requirement to the operating guide that both doors be closed in flight. There's no tail rotor on a Maule but there's a remote possibility that something blown out of the cockpit could lodge in the rudder or elevator and hinder its operation. No point in taking a chance.
I wouldn't think that a piece of paper...even a folded up chart...could cause a crash.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Looks like it was unsecured jackets, headsets and life vests that caused the accidents rather than a paper chart based on this article: https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2015/04/22/doors-off-flying/

I still wouldn't want to take a chance on a paper chart getting fouled up in the tail rotor. It wouldn't take much to lose tail rotor effectiveness.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

I could believe the distraction of the chart blowing out and the pilot looking back at it could have caused the crash. Just look how many plane crashes there have been over the years just from a door latch coming undone and a door popping ajar. Just sayin.

Scott

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Have flow with Seaplane Doors and with rear doors off. 120mph no issues

https://vimeo.com/3696042

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Hottshot wrote:Have flow with Seaplane Doors and with rear doors off. 120mph no issues

A little off topic...but is there any issues flying without the spinner?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re:

Post by Hottshot »

Stinger wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:49 pm
Hottshot wrote:Have flow with Seaplane Doors and with rear doors off. 120mph no issues

A little off topic...but is there any issues flying without the spinner?

No real issues, possibly cooling if in the right conditions.