Photo Hosting Rant

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Photo Hosting Rant

Post by Andy Young »

I really wanted to post a photo to this forum today, but after wrestling unsuccessfully with options I’ve used for this in the past, I gave up.

I do understand that I need to do it via a third-party image hosting site, and I’ve done this a number of times in the past.

However:

Imgur now seems to require their app, which won’t even let you in until you agree to “followâ€￾ at least five groups in their app. Last thing I want is more useless social media stuff worming it’s way into my device.

Tinypic has shut down.

Photobucket now charges $60/year.

Flickr required a new password, but wouldn’t take the one they themselves sent me to reboot my dormant account.

Dropbox doesn’t seem to give any sort of link that this site can work with, at least not that I could find.

After nearly an hour of futzing around with it, I decided it wasn’t worth the effort and aggravation just to share a fun picture.

I wish a way could be found to allow us upload photos directly to this forum, as the other forums I use do. I’d be happy to pay a fee for that; if I’m going to pay for photo hosting, I’d rather give the money here.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The version of phpbb used by the Maule Forum is 2.0.22. It doesn't have image upload capability. Version 3.3.0 does have image upload capability that uses postimages.org to store images. We've been thinking about upgrading the forum to phpbb 3 for a while but it's kind of a big deal with the potential for a lot of problems that would affect all our users until they are resolved. Christine and I are still working on it. Please be patient.

In the meantime, you could try uploading images for free to https://postimages.org/

That's the hosting service that phpbb would use to store images once we upgrade to phpbb 3. You can use it now once you sign up.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's an image that I uploaded to postimages.org and then used the forum's Img tags to include in this post:

You have to log in to upload images but you can link to them from the forum without having an account or being logged in.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks Andy,

That hosting site you pointed me to worked great, and is the easiest I’ve ever used.

Andy