Patroller door conversion

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
stevechardon

Patroller door conversion

Post by stevechardon »

I am interested in converting my 1974 M5 doors to patroller doors. Does anyone have helpful pointers on how I might approach this project? I am wondering if it a reasonable task for me to attempt? (Do I need to have an A&P involved?). Alternatively, are there shops that do this regularly (better if near me in NH)? I would appreciate any insight regarding what should I expect to spend if I were to do it myself ... Or if I were to hire someone to do it for me? Thanks!

Prairiefloats

I am interested as well!

Post by Prairiefloats »

I have the same questions, except that I am in Saskatchewan Canada. I have found some old threads on this with some detail, but unfortunately the picture links no longer seem to work.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

There are a couple of common ways of doing it, at least one of which is on factory drawings.

If nobody else posts some new photos, I’ll try to look mine out and upload them.

Either way, it’s not difficult if one has some basic engineering skill and tools. Which is a way of saying that someone whose skill is in making movies or investment banking might find it tricky.

Taking FAR Part 43, Appendix A, paragraph (c) together with the FAA’s “Colleal interpretationâ€￾ many of us would regard it as a “DIY jobâ€￾.

Of course, if you make a mess of it your local A&P will doubtless fix it and gently remind you of the fate which befell the Earl of Finchley:

Lord Finchley tried to mend the electric light;
it struck him dead, and serve him right.
For it’s the duty of the wealthy man
to give employment to the artisan.

:D
MX-7-180 N280SA

stevechardon

Post by stevechardon »

Right ....
Much appreciated!

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys,

Mask the out line of the plexiglass with masking tape then mark on the masking tape. Use a fine cutoff wheel and cut along your line through the masking tape and panel. Done properly you will only have to touch up the area which made contact with the cutoff wheel itself. The exterior paint should be in great shape. When peeling of the remaing tape, lift the outside of the tape and pull towards the new cut to avoid lifting the paint.

I hope this helps. It is a very easy project and you will forever love the view.

Take care,
Tom
Tom K.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys,

Mask the out line of the plexiglass with masking tape then mark on the masking tape. Use a fine cutoff wheel and cut along your line through the masking tape and panel. Done properly you will only have to touch up the area which made contact with the cutoff wheel itself. The exterior paint should be in great shape. When peeling of the remaing tape, lift the outside of the tape and pull towards the new cut to avoid lifting the paint.

I hope this helps. It is a very easy project and you will forever love the view.

Take care,
Tom
Tom K.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys,

Take care,
Tom
Tom K.