FYI

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
benflyn
100+ Posts

FYI

Post by benflyn »

Military to jam GPS signals across East Coast through Jan. 24th

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices ... visory.pdf
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

The Military has been testing GPS jamming equipment at the Yuma Proving Grounds over the past year or so. They do post NOTAM's before the tests. The tests wreak havoc on my GPS guided farm and land leveling equipment. It's not so much that you lose the GPS signal, it just scrambles it so that your equipment jumps all over the place. Listing up nice straight rows become Picasso like works of art. On rubber track tractors using GPS guided steering, the experience can be rather violent, with the tractor turning fully from left to right so fast that you are flung around the cab and it is very difficult to get your foot on the clutch to come to a stop. I fully support what the military is doing, but it's tough to get much work done when they test for weeks at a time. According to the NOTAM, the effect of the test extends from the tip of Baja to the Oregon border, but due to the curvature of the earth and ground clutter, a cone of effect exists so that the further from the test site, the higher the effect is above ground level. I'm only 70 miles away so the effect extends all the way to the ground.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.